Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Here Is GOOD TG

Image by SnaggleTooth 2012


After much wind, rain, n preparation I'm happy to report all is well at camp SnaggleTooth. Well, except as I write this,  I can't get a connection, probably due to my ISP location near Boston having no power.


After I got up very early Monday to assess the weather conditions, I got ready for work. The winds didn't seem too bad yet, n drizzly precipitation was billowy but not severe yet either. All the trees in sight were intact. The water down the street didn't look too wild or high. So I decided it was safe to drive. No problems aside from occasional twigs in the road, one light signal out, n some moderate wind gusts were observed along the way. The location of work is further inland n more sheltered then my home village.




Image by SnaggleTooth 2012
Every one able to get to work went in many hours early n worked like crazy without breaks until everything was done as fast as possible. This is normal storm mode for us- The stores our stuff sells in will all be open the following day, so the order must be made n ship out ahead... Several items were taken off the order list to shorten production. All was done within six hours n loaded in another hour.



Image by SnaggleTooth 2012


While we worked the storm raged outside. The power flickered a few times, but held. I was instantly drenched out the back door a few times taking out garbage. You could hear the downpours roar loud on the roof, n I had to get a bucket to catch a prolific, dripping leak next to where I stand near the end of my production.


When we were almost done packing, the manager opened the back door n said to us "Come here to see the hurricane" n there, in the night sky was a large break in the clouds with the full moon n stars all posing pretty for us. So yay, then I felt good about the ride back too, knowing the worst was past.


Image by SnaggleTooth 2012
Alot of cars were out on the roads compared to my normal commute back. I got home so early, it was strange seeing some people out n homes with lights on everywhere. I'm so used to being alone in the pitch dark here after work. I took a short walk around the house, the street, n boat ramp beach, n could find no obvious damage on or near my house. 



Image by SnaggleTooth 2012
The worst part of being at work is being cut off from all forms of media n not knowing what's going on elsewhere... I got inside just in time to tune in the 11pm news, a rare event for me. The Power, cable, n land-line were all in working order! Massachusetts seems to have been very fortunate compared to my neighbors of New York n Connecticut as news indicated. The damage in Manhattan is mind-blowing-

Messages on the phone machine were robo-calls from the local police department for voluntary evacuation of low-laying areas in my town. 



Image by SnaggleTooth 2012


I promptly decided to celebrate by eating frozen food requiring power to cook! Broccolli n chicken pot pie- food I'm pleased will not go bad. It took me a year to build up freezer supplies again after trashing the entire contents last year due to Hurricane Irene- not this time- Whew! I'm so relieved.


Image by SnaggleTooth 2012

It's early to sleep for me (3am), but I'm so tired. Another early, busy holiday (Halloween orders) workday tomorrow. One more day then Day Off finally.



Will try to connect once more...
Nope! Oh well, can't have everything...
.........................................
UPDATE: I saw a on the news a large tree fell near my ISP's address n that's why they had no power.
There's a dead lawn mark on the little park where the water came up almost to the road at the Boat Ramp beach during High Tide while I was out at work.




Image by SnaggleTooth 2012
In Honor of those who do Halloween, I offer up a black cat, Mischief, masquerading as a very fat Jack-o-Lope without antlers, n a three-eyed, two-nosed Mutant kitty, plus the window display at the village Pizza Shop. Those who don't, I hope you enjoy the pics anyhow!

13 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I'm so relieved you and Mischief weathered the storm without incident. Awesome that you got home early and could get some rest.

Happy Halloween, Snaggle. Love that pic!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

Christine posted a picture of a down tree at work in the parking lot- thankfully it didn't land on her car! Just the poor soul who had a handicapped placard :/

Glad all is well and the flooding was minor in your area! Did the dinghies at the ramp float away? When I saw a picture posted on facebook and noticed them in the shot with the water crashing over them... Also did any boats land in front yards this time?

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I'm glad nothing happened to home while I was out, I was very apprehensive about my Mischief until I got back. Thankyou

MB, on FB? I'm still loading at super slow 28 bps here, so have to wait awhile. Roads: Camp, N Blvd, S blvd where BBM used to live, the pier was under, all were flooded a short time. Prob the center too.
No dinghies are at the ramp at all today.
I didn't walk the whole village in daylight, so don't know about lawn boats. The Microburst was about 2 miles long in PineHurst n Swifts areas. One Guy there missed getting a tree thru his head by feet as he cooked dinner!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I heard about your ISP and you not being able to connect so I went down there and cleared the debris for you. ;P

*plucks some splinters out of his fingers* *OUCH*

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, So that's why the problem was cleared up so quickly! Thanks...

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Glad to hear that you made it through relatively unscathed.

It's funny, but we had some people complaining out here that the post office shouldn't have had their people out delivering mail on Monday and Tuesday.

Go figure.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

wow. Microbursts are scary... glad you are safe!

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, Glad you're OK too, guess CT got many damages also- Well we can be glad we don't have that job at least! I wonder if banks of ruined homes will still demand owners pay mortgages?

MB, then trees just fall for no reason... but yes, you could tell it was a directional burst of strong wind that did it. I still think safety is an illusion-

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ahhhh, Mischief is still so cute!!

xoxo

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I'm so glad you were safe. I'm just catching up my blogging buddies as I've been away on holiday for a week.

Nice photos!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JamF, She is, n my all time Fave Girl-

LLcookJ, I need a vaca soon- Hope you had a good week traveling. Thanks

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - np ;P

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, thx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home