Sunday, February 20, 2011

Inn

Photo by SnaggleTooth Feb 2011 .
.
Alas, the pretty old Inn down the street has again been closed down n foreclosed this year. Since the owner that I used to work for back in the early 80's died, It's gone thru so many re-makings n owners I can't count.
.
I have so many old memories there. I made alot of friends, met musicians (James n Bruce), played alot of tunes, served alot of meals, n cleaned all four floors for peanut change. Table Asteriods, n Ms PacMan were played over many Rum n cokes. Independence fireworks were watched from the balcony.
.
One of my Fave memories is visiting my Mother n an Uncle having lunch there in '98. My Dad had been gone for years. His wife also was gone, n so they traveled together. My mother had always dreamed of driving a Jaguar, but could never afford one. So he had rented a classic old Jaguar convertable for a day trip adventure, n ended up here, just a short walk from my house. I nearly fainted when I saw that car. It was just a few months later she began a year long battle with the Big C.
.
I'm very grateful for my many memories there. The Inn is a place I'd like to continue visiting, n hope the empty victorian gets another chance soon to be a good place to hang out n be entertained. If only I had about 800k laying around to play in that space myself. The place is full of ghosts for me, but they are the friendly sort.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Feb 2011

The above shot was taken on a short walk last Wednesday. The wind chill was biting on the beach, but It was worth the frozen fingers. The building looks all alone from this perspective, but actually is surrounded by cottages n across the road from the water, so you know it's huge.
I like the feel of this one...

15 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I love old houses with a passion. How great that you were able to go inside and enjoy the history. Your rendition makes the beach appear to be crashing waves. Both so cool.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh how I wish I could run a B&B out of there. I'm sure doing that is not all it is cracked up to be - but what a lovely house.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, This one had always been my best hang-out on winter week-ends until the recent economy woes. Who could afford the heat n taxes now, maybe Donald Trump-
Thanks

Lynn, Not only is half of it hotel rooms, it has 3 lounges,one with a Restuarant n large dining / stage room for bands n dancing. I don't want to clean it again tho!
In the summertime it always draws crowds, n is a fun place. It's actually three buildings added together. It would be a good spot for family reunions too.
I dream about it too. thanks

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Would love to own that house too. I wounder if it is full of ghost.
It looks hard to heat or keep cool.
have a great weekend.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic looking building.
I bet many good memories from this place has planted the imagination of a lot of people

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I LOVE that style building. What stories could it tell I wonder.

Shoot, just spent my last 800K on pastries, else I'd gift it to you. :)

Jim has had a few jaguars, older, in various states of repair and disrepair. Charming lines on soem of the older ones.

Lovely post and memories.

And did you notice another new comment on the old James n Bruce post? :)

xoxo

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Opaque said...

There is something about old architecture that captures my attention...

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, The owner I worked for claimed to have several ghostly experiences there over the years in certain places, including the laundry room on the 3rd floor. My village was here in the 1600s, n previously was a Wampanoage Native summer Camp. Don't know if a summer only business could pay the bills there.

ArtsWeb, Yeah- almost like the resort in the "Dirty Dancing" film with Patrick Swayze n Jennifer Grey. It always impressed me too-

JanF, The who;e top is vicyorian, n the bottom floor has two single-story buildings extending the base area. They did a great job restoring the trim detail.
Those are some expensive puffies! i;m trying to remember the model year- Think it was a maroon '69 with tan leather seats. I'll have to go visit that old pic again... thanks.

Opaque, It's certainly had it's heyday with live swing bands in decades past. So big, but I always feel at home in there.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

That is such a gorgeous old house!! I hope that someone wonderful gets there hands on it and turns it into something worthy and beautiful!!

Thanks so much for your note! Family is safe and sound up North - but still waiting to hear from friends - and just praying they are all safe. My home city for so many years, and it looks like downtown has just collapsed.

Hope things are well with you. xxx

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I love the perspective of your shot, Snaggle. It looks so proud and beautiful and as if it's up to facing whatever the future has in store for it.

I hope it gets a whole new life so you can visit your friendly ghosts any time you want.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

CJ, I hope that house gets a new chance too-
I'm so glad to hear your family is safe! Thankyou for the fast reply. The Earthquake damage to ChristChurch looks so horrible on the news-
I'm doing alright, tho the wallet's a bit tight, thankyou!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, I was much lower than street level by the water there, thanks. I know I posted a pic of it from the road but haven't found it yet. Thanks I hope it gets opens again. The past few winters I've really missed ny hangout spot in walking distance...

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Man that place looks like the Bates hotel in psycho!

Would love to see what the inside looks like!

Oh, sorry... 13!! WINNING!!! *giggle*

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, you'd like the 3 bars. It sold to a bank at auction last week for 1.1 mill-bux!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Pocket change.... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home