Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trumpet

Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010



Photo by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010
.
Across the Boulevarde from the M-cove beach is a fence choc full of these Orange Trumpet Vine flowers (Campsis radicans). A couple weeks ago I went down to take pics of them, but couldn't get very close due to the hundreds of bees of all kinds enjoying the plentiful nectar. I'm always challenged trying to show the strange shape of the 3.5 inch long blooms in pics. I think they're a really cool looking late summer flower, which I look forward to seeing each year. Sometimes you can see the hummingbirds making rounds for them.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010
In the sideyard there are a few of these vines which were flowering also, but when I went down there recently, I discovered that the kids from down stairs had used all the blooms for batting practice, n left the battered blossoms n a metal pole from the fence as evidence laying in the yard.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010
(I hid the pole).
I'd planted one of the baby vines in a bucket with the periwinkles out on the deck about a decade ago which has yet to bloom trumpets.
(This spring I finally got Periwinkles for the first time).
.


.
.
.
.
That late afternoon when I went to take these pics I noticed BBM n the troops were at the beach a few hundred feet away hunting minnows n crabs, so I got in a short Little Ones visit too. Sometimes we seem to have a gift for synchronisity like we're following each other around. Funny how timing can work out so well sometimes.
.Photo by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010.
.
No visiting for me this weeks Days Off tho- I've been sinus infection sickly for a week now, n still hacking away. Wouldn't want anyone to miss school on my account... So I'm keeping a low profile in the village this week. Didn't go walking, taking pics, or go see a water sunset. Just sticking around home doing laundry, n odds n ends.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010.
Tonight is expected to get down to the 40 F range, so I brought the Impatiens in, n put down some storm windows. Wow- I hate closing windows! They've been open since May. Only September, n a week left of the season, yet it's feeling like orange n brown time already!
.
Have a good last week of Summer folks!

8 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Far from the trumpet Vines you did stay
Or until the bees did fly away
Pictures you got from a faraway view
Because of stingers that was all you could do

But kids with buckets were running about
Hunting minnows and crabs with gleeful shouts
A bit of a cold frond is running through
And your periwinkles bloomed for you


So no kid caught a cold in the posting of this blog?
You take care of yourself.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Bizarre how we just skip from one season to another these days - not much easing in.

How great that you saw those cute little ones! I hope you feel better and thanks for the great pics.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Your photos showed the unique depth of those blooms perfectly, Snaggle. What a gorgeous color they are! I'm glad you got to have some visiting time - that's always fun when it's unplanned!

We've had some seriously cool nights and days already...and I have to admit I'm loving it (once I got used to putting on sweaters again!).

Hope your sinus infection clears up quickly for you! They are just miserable, aren't they?

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, actually I did get within 5 feet of the vines for close-ups but dared go no closer, n backed away from many Buzzy Bees. Pic from the beach was to show how large the vines are. I drive past them often. Sinus infections aren't catchy, but a cold started it.

Lynn, Sudden extremes are becoming normal weather- indeed! Well this week I only saw my fave folks in pics- n hate not getting out. Alot of abstract faces n colorful designs to ponder from my trumpet pics this round.

Talon, aren't they so odd-looking in shape? The color is inbetween bright orange n red. The seeds/berries in the Fall end Up bright orange n hot pink! They appear in some old leaf scans previously on ESR. Myself, I do like to warm up in snuggly-fuzzy flannel shirts-
Sinus infections always feel like a brick hit the side of your face until the pressure lets up- not quite as bad today- they tend to take weeks to clear. Thanks

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Great how you got all the kids' faces in th pic. That took few shots, I imagine? They are all so adorable!

Love that so many bees are about, very hopeful.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

xoxo

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, you wouldn't believe all the terrible no-face pics I have, cause they aren't posed at all. Not many taken on that day.
Less than half were honey bees, there were alot of Bumble Bees, hornets, flies, n wasps.
Been a long week with this icky nose n head-ache, thanks

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

they almost look like our firey orange honeysuckle.

I just learned that humming for 10 minutes a day keeps the sinus's away. And you know what, I think it's working. If you do it in the shower it's not so worrisome.

haha I said "do it in the shower"

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, never heard of orange Honeysuckle before! I'll have to see if you got pics pf it.
Now that's an interesting cure I've never heard of. I don't hum much, but will have to give it a try. Very funny advice! I'm not worried- no one's here to listen but Mischief

 

Post a Comment

<< Home