Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stairway to Aggravation

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 25 2010
.
.
One day this week I missed an entire day of sleep before work in exchange for new, pressure-treated wood, outside steps.
I didn't get a chance to take a before shot, due to not being informed of this work being scheduled. (I spoke to the landlord to please call me a day in advance next time).
.
I've got a few obvious issues with the different placement. The new model isin't as steep, n so extends several feet further, overshooting the old concrete platform n ending on top of the grass. The outdoor hose spigot now obstructs part of the bottom step. After being turned on, the water pressure sqwirts out the top of the valve handle, soaking the step, n making a mud-puddle as you step off the stairs. Now, I want to buy some gravel for the bottom to cut down the grass growth under the structure, n help footing. I'm depressed they also ripped out some of my purple Lillies of the Valley that were against the foundation at the bottom of the old stairs.

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 25 2010 .
The hose will now need to always be carefully hung up to not be in the way. (Note: I can't control what downstairs folks will do). I could move the hanger, but it must go way over to avoid the electric meters n power splitter. Now there's downstairs glass windows at foot n grocery bag carrying levels to avoid breaking. The new wider railing top extends further into the stair space, narrowing it. Carrying things in n out will now require alot of extra care.
.
I'm stressed out by the new issues created, n am totally irked because I like things done the right way, n it wasn't!
.
I spent hours today picking up the mess the work folks left behind in the yard n driveway. I had alot of trouble walking in the dark to the new steps after work last night. Chunks of old, ripped apart wood, some with large nails sticking out, loose wood-screws, thorny branches from under the old stairs, ripped up plant vegetation, big hunks of upsidedown lawn, many little label papers removed from new materials stewn everywhere, lunch food wrappers, cups, bottles, n loose water-bottlecaps were left for me to trip over n deal with!
.
Nothing bothers me more than folks inconsideration of what they are doing to others. (I would never do what they have). I have to work a job I don't like on nights, week-ends, n holidays, only because I need steady money for the rent- then they don't let me sleep, n make me clean their mess in my free time. I'm stuck with all the yard work too, or it is not done. I don't want the neighborhood to think this is "the dumpy house" n I've worked hard on it. The kids downstairs have ruined the lawn, n have never lifted a finger to pick anything up, tho their garbage has been all over (I picked it up). I cannot tolerate littered trash. I've made certain the folks are aware of this. Yet, they continue.
.
Then these folks wonder why I always seem angry n in a bad mood! (Not to mention the frequent loud, blasting music at all hours of day n night, ie: during writing of this).

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 25 2010
What a way to top off nine months of missed sleep one week before the partytime, student folks downstairs are due to leave... (Hurry! Please leave!)
Honestly, sometimes I want to just explode at them! Would you?

14 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Too bad all the negatives associated with this new stairway outweighed the potential good.

Hope things get back to normal for ya really soon.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

I was all excited- new stairs!!! seeing as how the old ones were there pre-1986 this is only beneficial.. then I read the post to find out they too where constructed by Charlie Brown- Just like the rest of the house.. I hope that I can grow enough of the purple lilly of the valleys to return some to you. you could dig up ones that are left and put them in a pot for next year and keep them on the deck.
Teh prob with pre-fab stair risers is that they don't come in varying steepness or step widths. Best of Luck getting used to the new obstacle course..

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

yep, i wood problee explode at the peepils wit no konsideration.

it is not fun.

take cares.

ox

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger TALON said...

There's nothing worse than something that is supposed to be an improvement turning out to be the exact opposite!

Confession - I would totally explode !!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Is there a landlord you can talk to about the downstair's people's noise? I had a 50-something year old man renting downstairs from me for a year and he blasted music all the time. Once in the middle of the night, it came on so suddenly and loudly that it almost gave me a heart attack. I pounded on his door and he was drunk - he turned it down only a hair. So I called the owner of the condo and kept calling him every time it happened. Eventually the guy moved to one of the other buildings and the neighbors around him ended up calling the police.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Who's bright idea (no pun intended) was it to have a water hose right next to an electric meter?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I think you are right to be pissed off, by your neighbours and the workman who didn't do their job properly.

Sounds like you are very controlled to me!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, My thoughts exactly! The bottom is now an obstacle course! I'd rather have the steep climb back...
Me too- thanks

MB, Mickey Mouse n Charlie Brown teamed up for this project! I tried to re-pot 2 of the torn lov upstairs in a flower pot, but they may not have enough roots left. I have little respect for carpenters who can't think it thru before starting! (One of the sons, btw)

BB, Yep, n they thought it didn't matter to tell me so I could move my truck away from the zone (5 feet away) to avoid damage, n my belongings under the steps!
I can't beleaf BB gets ticked off!

Talon, My thoughts exactly! N I'm too grumpy n tired to deal with life, too! This isin't the first fiasco conducted- If your plants were the ones getting run down, weed-whacked, n ripped out you'd be having a bird... Thanks for the confess.

Lynn, folks downstairs are the relatives- grandkids. The ones who did the work are relatives- son. The property manager, another son! The owner, a little old lady who's husband is in a wheelchair- They live an hour away, n are almost always absent to try to contact.
That entire family are city folks n partying drunkards. They've never fixed anything right yet!
You are lucky you had someone to contact, n had the problem solved.

Neo, Zzzzzttt! Smell hair burning or something?- Woops! tripped in the puddle into the main power line! (After breaking the windows, slashing my legs... )
Never mind what 3-year-olds do...

God forbid I should need to move my stuff out down these stairs, cause it won't fit now!
S stated about to MB:
Mickey Mouse n Charlie Brown teamed up for this project!

LLcoolJ, I'll tell ya, it's a good thing i don't like to drink because I'd act out on my impulses n cause alot of damage... Thanks for your imput!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - YOU HAVE EMAIL!!!

I guess they don't have electrical/building codes up there huh? And let me guess they did this half-ass job without a permit as well. Wouldn't surprise me.

Well if you go a'tumblin, just find a really good lawyer and sue sue sue. Then retire in style on the islands. :)

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Due to my machines constipation issue, I don't check email often- so thanks for the tip!
Hmm, I could waste another day of needed sleep to go reseach permits at town hall...
Oh, n I'd like my very own island, too! The one in the middle of our bay is only selling for 4 mill-

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - No worries, let me know how you make out. But that info should get a bunch of space freed up for you.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, you have email- thanks

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Gotcha :) No problems. 13

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, thanks- that was getting down there-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home