Friday, October 16, 2009

Ivy Aster

Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 2009
.
.
Poison Ivy can be beautiful when showing it's fall colors. Those little, light-purplely-blue blossoms with the yellow centers are abundant in the woods right across from here this month.
.
According to "A field Guide to the Wild Flowers of North America" by Joan Barker, (3 bux at Borders) they're the New York Aster, (Symphyotrichum novi-belgh). Two years ago, I grew some on my deck by accident, n found out they attract alot of bees.
.
I took these pics last week. Alas, no new pics from today. A NorEaster is raining on my Day Off Parade. It may even kick some frozen flakes in over night. I put the a plastic sheet over my young turnip plants on the deck again, in case it gets too frosty.
Tues am, when I went out after work to cover the late planting with my flash light, I bumped into my old friend, the possum! (I took his pic in the barrel once). Wonder what he was eating up here- besides all the sunflowers. Not the turnips, which are covered in hardware wire.
He looked so peturbed that I interrupted him trying to get into the deck barrel. Kept turning to look at me n wondering if he really needed to move. I ignored him n got to work in the cold. The loud, plastic-krinkle noise finally made him grumble n move outside the rails.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 2009This week I only get this one day off, work another five nights, then finally get my free time the last week of October. Hopefully, I'll make it to next week- I've been very sore n fatigued, covered with bruises. My aching body just doesn't wanna wait- n the cold makes me ache more.
.
Well, At least I tagged the poison Ivy before it got me...

13 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Lovely photos, Snaggle. I laughed at the possum - he sounds as if he thinks he's a pet!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

I saw your pic and immediately thought.. uh oh poison ivy.. and then read and became relieved that you knew that it was. I had no idea poison ivy was across the street. all the time we spent playing up there, and I never got it once.. I get it now though, and thankfully the 3 times I've had it, it's been pretty mild compared to other cases I've seen. I was at a clients yesterday and looked out her window to see a gorgeous colored 3 leaf vine going up a tree by the swingset. I told her to watch out as that's poison ivy. She had no idea. lol. I taught myself to recognize it after I got it my first time.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Wonderful shots - and loved the possum one. Sounds like he's making himself at home - lol!

The asters are a lovely color and poison ivy looks deceptively sweet, doesn't it?

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Asters are always so sweet and cheery. Nice about the bees, a good sign.

We have a lot of poision ivy here too. I'll have to watch to see if it changes color along the trail as summer creeps away.

Possum sounds like he's not going too far from you.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

dont eets that ivie, okey? it will gives you bad dreems. and a rashe.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, Possum wants a winter den in my barrels again- He;s been around the house for awhile.

MB, That bunch grew right on the edge by the R's parking corner- had a good year to spread, I guess. Pretty little vines. The bamboo wasn't all over until the past few years either- The weeds always win...

Talon, Thanks, wish I had your cam detail for the small asters. The bees didn't come out, but they are there. This is that possum's home- The poisom Ivy is always lush...

JanF, I like those fuzzy-looking little blooms. We seem to proliferate with light purple flowers here. got Lillies of the valley n giant clover the same color too- i acrually never noticed the Ivy change so pretty before. Still awaiting the trees, prob 10 days from now (brh!)

BB, Thanks for the tip!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

*giggling* about your possum friend. And ACKETY ACK, the poison ivy!! I got a hideous case of the stuff in late April, and it got really bad at the beginning of May, right when my novel came out, so I think I was probably the itchiest debut writer on earth. And the stuff was awful -- hung around for weeks. Though I'm an experienced hiker, I got it because I was careless. That won't happen again. I guess I'd allowed myself the delusion that I was immune to the stuff. Not so.

It does my heart good to see the stuff changing color! :-D

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Can you believe you actually reply to someone named BB?? :) And not BB King, if ya know what I mean?

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ThommaLyn, Possum doesn't know he has fans-
I had the head-to-toe case for the whole summer when I was ten. Couldn't go to the pool, people didn't wanna hang with me- n itchy was an understatement! After that I've only gotten a few isolated finger blisters-
It's very important to wash the oil off the clothes, shoes too- The plant's oil is what does the burning. Yep, now it's pretty too!

JanF, I hope BB knows he's Blue Bunny. My old Friend Bruce Marshall used to gig with BB King all the time.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

It does look pretty, but deadly. lol

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

RoseD, Thanks for the visit. I start scratching just looking at it, myself!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

yor welkum. i am heer to helps you and all my hoomins frends.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

BB, thanks, you kin be me freindz anityem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home