Sunday, May 07, 2006

Da Race

Another week-end's slippin by. The Temperature finally got up to no-jacket-needed weather for the past two days. It didn't even get to the forecasted cloudy sky until late afternoon. Got the errands all done, n hand-mowed the lawn again.
...
A bunch of construction equiptment showed up out front again today, in the middle of my free-time party... cause they couldn't fit up the little side-street next to this house to put in a paved driveway up there. They seemed pretty perplexed to see me hand-mowing. I suppose it's a lost art about to become alot more popular...
...
"That's manual labor!" a construction worker proclaimed to me while drivin by at 3 mph on a roller-tractor-combo.
...
I thought, "(... Yeah, no SH--!)"
...
I don't mind the exercise, really. Walking n pushing on the dirt n turf is good for the feet. I'm not a fan of long walks on cement, anymore though. Cement floors at work get the soles sore.
I do mind that I prefer not to deal with the loud gas-powered machine, n the work crew were making loud engine noise I wanted to avoid! I'd also prefer not to be watched or bothered, as quiet time here is in very limited supply until all the summer visiters descend. About 20 days, to be exact, most of which I gotta work away from home.
Just can't win lately!
No peace for the weary worker...
...
I slowed down enough to watch some of the "Run for the Roses" Kentucky Derby horserace sports show on NBC while I was working on a puter project. I guess all the women have to wear wide-brim-hats n they dish out "Mint Julip" drinks to get the crowd rowdy.
The only wide-brim I own was purchased at "South of the Border" in South Carolina on my road trip to the Florida Keyes in 2001. it's brown leather n looks just like the "Indiana Jones hat. I use it for shade sometimes, n Halloween. Not today, though. I'm really not into fancy hats...
Number 8, "Babaro," of KY (extra $100k bonus!) took the roses.
...
Then, not getting my fill of running horses, ABC showed the movie "SeaBiscuit," which I have in a pile of VHS in the corner, but I got sucked in n watched it again, anyhow. I also have the book in a box somewhere in my collection of horse-themed literature from my childhood. Always liked the feel-good story of a long-shot "short-guy" fighting a way to the top of the heap... (I'm short, too)! one of these dayz I wanna get somewhere better, myself.
...
Lately my free-time is over before I'm recovered or done with the priorities keeping me up n runnin in "Da Race." Back in '80's I wrote a silly Progressive Blue-grass tune titled "Escape Da Race." I still haven't found a way out- except for hittin the lottery, which is very long-odds! At least I'm still in the running. I drew a long-shot post position, n I'm gettin weary of the long distance traveled, patience wearin thin. It'll take so much to keep up, to win...
...
"Meanwhile, back on the ranch" (one of my fav silly sayings) I really need some rest n pasture time! N the finish-line's no where in sight!
(Please don't use the whip!)

12 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Aw now, the whip can be fun. ;) J/K

I missed the race, *sniffle* hope you're having a good weekend. Get those strings ringing eh?

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Lol!
-Ya know the point is: I don't need to be whipped to do my best n put my heart into it... (like Seabiscuit).
It's 11p Sunday, n haven't had time for my stringed friends yet, too many chores...but I wanna right now, so good suggestion!
Week-ends need another day (paid)! xo

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger X said...

I was in bum-mode on Saturday and caught a bit of Seabiscuit too....I must say that I'm not really a fan. I had to stop watching halfway through. Not my cup of tea :)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I still manually mow my lawn as well, and enjoy doing it. I always laugh when I see people out in their rider mowers for this postage stamp size of a yard. How lazy can one get? Besides all the noise they make, it's just plain silly. I still sweep my driveway and steps the old fashioned way as well.... no blowers here. And you're right, it is good exercise.

I missed Seabiscuit on TV (was working, and out of cable) and have always wanted to see the movie as I heard it was pretty good.

Hope you had a nice weekend, and were able to put your feet up for a rest, while strumming on your stringed friends. Memorial Day with all it's flockers is right around the corner.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i've never seen seabiscuit but only b/c we never go to the movies and we rarely rent them. i didn't see it on tv the other night. i did however think of you when i was in the toy store today and saw some nice model horses.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I am having problems getting over to mb's site. For some reason it won't let me comment. Please let her know that I've been reading, just can't comment. AARRGG!

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

OilF, Don't like it eh? I thought Tobey Maguire did a good job in that one, n I did read the book about 20 times... it helps to like horses, n know about race-training.
You must be tall!

Ellen, wow! another coinkydink! You'll have to catch the movie one of these days, if busy-season ever ends for ya...
My week-end was very busy n I usually play standin up, unless complicated finger-pickin.

MB, Don't have a VHS machine, either, do ya? Yep, I got a nifty collection of those Breyer Model Horses packed away out back.

Ellen, MB's site did that to me after I tried to comment also, I'll em her in case she doesn't see this.
A weird Blogger-Bugger Glitch no doubt!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

we do have a vhs machine thanks to jay's mom. our shit the bed a few months ago, and they're expensive these days to get a new one. it's cheaper to get a dvd player than it is to get a vcr. i don't get it

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jinsane said...

Thanks for making my little "town" a part of your weekend! It sure was AWESOME weather this year - I couldn't have asked for anything better!!

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, ya, dvd players are so cheap but I still don't have one on my TV! I still haven't tried a dvd on the puter yet to dee if the drive still works! That means I could lend ya the movie, if I went digging for it that is...

Jen, Happy to include Louisville's most famous Derby in my first week of May every year. Someday I'll make it down there! N not a "sloppy track" day. Looked like fun on the show, will hafta go see your report soon!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - I hear ya. Thankfully tomorrow is Friday. So I'll get some down time to go snapping photo's. Hope I don't weird anyone out. LOL

Hope you got in some practice time.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, thanks. TGIF early am!
I'm pretty sore again got in about 2 violin hours Sun night. Not havin good vibrato control tho- Helps out guitar hands to do vio-warm-up first.

Wierd me out? -Unlikely!
Other folkz prob haven't thought about stuff the way ya put it yet. I have, n do get exactly what ya mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home