Saturday, March 11, 2006

Cabin Fever has left the Building

Have I been direct enough stating in previous posts that the best part of where I live is the out-doors?
...
Today's the nicest Saturday we've had here in my area for quite some months. It's gorgeous out, sunny, n in the 60's. The heat's off for the day, the door's wide open. Doing errands was actually a good time because the good weather seems to give everyone such a pleasant mood.
...
I finally broke down n got a throw-away cam (it was cheap) so I could show ya a few things I've written about recently. I almost never use up a roll n get it developed so quick, but decided to spice the posting up for ya.
...

This first shot is of the new scenery at the end of my street since last week.

...


Stop, in the name of stealing the back beach n free boat-ramp use from the natives!
...

Here's my "Maple-Beard" tree (see the face?) n the view of the new mess from my front yard, very similar to the view from my window. That's the "R's" porch on the right. The waves came up to those steps during Hurricane Bob 15 years ago. (I saw the seaweed mark).
That's the tree which the "R's upper-deck furniture hit in the wind-storm. A family of owls nested in that hole last spring until the loud folkz downstairs forced them to move out... This is also where I feed the squirrels n birds by pouring seeds into the nooks n crannies of the bark (not visable).
...
It was so nice n I had time to stop n get more of other stuff too, for spicing post ups later.
I should go through my old photo's to find ya the before to compare with.

This was a grassy park where people played n walked the doggies, the geese nested in the salt-grass section, n where the local fishermen were launching small sea-craft daily to sell their catch for a living.
...

This big sandy mess is apparently all just for affording better drainage.

Now what are they gonna do if this work's all washed away during the next storm season... ?
I also believe the sea-level's are changing (rising) with the glacial melting taking place at both poles n with "global warming" as news reported n I posted about previously in the year just past. Just a few more inches can give wave damage a whole new power. Since the Tsunami of 12/26/05, n then the Katrina destruction, the ocean has earned a new dose of Earthly respect from us all.
They're not putting up a wall, though- just burying concrete forms, pipes, n tons of gravel. The early am loud noise n vibrations are also quite undesirable.
...
So the outside WAS the best part until this mess moved in... Hope you're all getting more restful sleep than I am these days!
Now ya know...

9 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

oh god.. glad i don't have to look at that everyday! you can't win... first the dummy bridge and now this, when are they gonna stop?

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

And they're not even putting up a seawall to protect you? Holy moley! What a mess! What's the dummy bridge?

I remember when Bob blew through because I asked my step-mom to send me pictures. She sent me the local newspapers she had gotten about the damage. Once again, our *shack* survived, but there was much damage down by the beach. Those homes that received the most damage were re-built according to the new codes of *stilts*. That may save them from water damage, but what about wind?

So sorry that they're tearing apart the best part of your living area. Such a shame!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Between the 3 neighbors rebuilding n the bridge,it's been constant all year round going on 3 years now!
This one tho- is echo-ing off the water n much louder, but not as bad shaking as the pilings pounding last spring.

Ellen, it does seem foolish to do all that n NOT put up a wall, doesn't it?
The Dummy bridge was a 50 year-old steel gurder temporary bridge leading from our village to the main drag which was closed for 2 years to replace, so I had to all the long way around to get out anywhere. I wrote about that noise back in May n June I believe.

There are several homes over the waves on stilts here also.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Note: I just modified the pic format so ya can click n get the larger version on the 1st n 4th pics. For some wierd reason, in the blogger html, "DISPLAYED" or Centered pics won't link up to the larger version...
Now ya can see up close the mess I fit into that first shot.

I also wanna add, that these pics are from (cloudy) Friday.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Yeah I agree, what is a mess. And yes, the sea is rising. I shudder to think about where it will be in less that 10 years.

Nice picts.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Neo, Ya I've been more paraniod of the sea rising lately, n more so for my other people (BBM n baby J) who live right down the street the other direction, down-hill. At least I'm on a hill.
I've had water-world dreams before, where my upstairs apartment becomes a floating houseboat after breaking off the Foundation... Lets hope it doesn't get that drastic that fast...

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Simon, Thanks for the comment, n for the pic link too-

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ahh, maplebeard. I get it now.

Bet you're glad that construction is a thing of the pats. Past!

They've been bulding condos on the little street Klelly's school's on all year. Every morning it's a real struggle for a parking spot, due to 100 construction workers' trucks. Hopefully by the start of next year it'll be all done and we can get back to a nice peaceful way again.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow JanF, your comment has prob been unseen here in like a year! TG construction stopped- Boo the kids moved in below...If it's not one thing- It's another!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home