Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snowy Sunday

Winter has finally caught up to our small corner of Earth. New England's expecting a Blizzard today, (sustained winds over 35 mph for at least 3 hours with intense, rapid snowfall with decreased visability), n if the weather guy is near correct, I may have to shovel a foot of the white fluff stuff!
...
Thanks for the heads up MB! I haven't been catching alot of news lately, (I'm working most people's off-hours now).
...
It would be the first major shovel job of the strange warm winter we've had here! Just the past two days have chilled below 30 degrees. Will have to find the hats n gloves again... Only had a little to clean-up the last snow, -way back last fall! Coastal areas will be on flood watch, but prob not on the south-facing beaches, where I live.
I'm pretty lucky to be on a hill in this beach-ville zone, until ya slide down it on ice n can't get up it on the way home, that is!
...
Cancellations (even Sunday church services!) have been running n The stores were jammin on the strip all day Sat gettin ready to hunkerdown. I had to do all my week-end runaround stuff in one morning, to be ready for the upcoming week. Every where a line!
...
I finally raked up some of the wind-storm mess the other day, n was impressed to find a section-piece of (wood-peckered) holey-maple tree impaled at a steep angle into the lawn, which will not pull out... about the width of my hand n it's in pretty deep! I'm so glad I wasn't standin there when the neighbor's deck table hit the tree... Another marvel at the power of nature, n my good luck (well, at least the planet's being kind to me)!
...
Still wish the summer people next door could have the good sense to batten down the outdoor furniture for storm season- I'm always left wondering when it's gonna fly over. Now I'm sure it's really dangerous...
...
Been having a melancholy week, beginning Monday with my Father's death date anniversary throwing me off a bit when I suddenly remembered it. Been pretty sore, tired, n lonely to go with my sad mood, too. And of course, electronics behaving strangely not helping (he was an electronics engineer), which just keeps reminding me. Then I found out one of my fav reads went off-line while I was out of touch all week.
...
...
An odd side-note:
I got the Kansas LP in the 70's, n learned how to fingerpick my own version of "Dust in the Wind" soon after. A friend I used to play music with added some more fancy vocals I also incorporated into my personal version in the early 80's. I've played it on other people's guitars in the oddest places- (like Stop n Shop), n folkz always seem impressed. Wish I had good fingernails today.
I always remember how to play it, n the lyrics...
N I'll never forget!
...
I close my eyes, only for a moment n the moments gone.
All my dreams, pass before my eyes a curiosity-
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind-

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see,
ah-Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wi-nd-- whaoo-o-ah

(insert violin break here)

Don't hang on!
Nothing lasts forever but the Earth n sky.
It slips a-way a-hey!
All your money won't another minute buy-high-ya-

Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind--
(-All we are is dust in the wind).
Dust in the wind, everything is Dust in the wih-in-d, a-ha-o-o-ah-oh~
...

14 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Even we had a dusting of the white stuff down here. Looks kind of cool, but then I'm hunkered in...just content to be looking out the window.
I saw on he weather forecast where the system had stretched across Alabama and TVA all the way up to New England. They even showed a shot of Philly getting dumped, and pretty hard. Now I know why I moved down here.... I'm not a fan of shoveling the cold wet stuff.

In a way, it's a good thing we are getting some, as well as a hard freeze. We depend on it to kill off some of the dormant "bug" nests, so we won't be overpowered by the mosquitoes in the summer.

I heard "Dust in the Wind" just the other day... and now will always think of you playing it when I hear it again.

Stay warm!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Refresh JBI!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, was lucky for me it wasn't the wet n really heavy stuff today, cause there was a 2-foot drift behind my truck to do! The wind has it drifting pretty high-
Guess New York hit 27 inch record for Central Park, glad I'm not there now...
Boston already cancelled school for Mon!
Thanks for the tip, will do next-

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Yup, we got nailed down here in philly, wondering why I even came in to the job today. I could be sitting at home playing vids.

We got about a foot here. The roads are pretty messy.

And I love that song! I love playing those fingerpicking parts as well.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger X said...

I send yu hugs about your week.....this week will be better!

Luckily, the snow has bypassed us save a little dusting we had this morning. We had a huuuuuge freezing rain storm in 98 up here (dubbed Ice Storm '98...lol, original) and line-ups were like that. It was great because it was right at the end of winter break for me....and then school was cancelled for another 3 weeks (it was a bad storm). Line-ups were nutso and almost everyone lost their electricity. I had to stay at my aunts house for two weeks....there was about 20 people there, because she was the only one with power.

Hope the snow stops soon for you guys! :)

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Only a foot? That much in the city atmo can be tough to pile up. At least ya don't hafta dig a car out n shovel.
Can finger pick too, eh?

Thanks OILeft Field, They say the weather might start melting it by Weds, so I shoveled the storm drain too.
I remember that ice storm, cause my music buddy Bruce, in Maine at the time, was MIA from several gigs due to getting really stuck, like he said trees were bent across the road covered with ice, blocking his road.

Still this one seems pretty mild compared to the 3 foot storm we had last year that took 3 days to get the driveway shoveled!
I'm very greatful the electric heat hasn't been down either!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Happy Valentines Day!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Yup, I love finger picking. It's so much more natural.

Btw, Happy Valentines Day!!

Peace, Hugs, & Roses!

- Neo

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, thanks! Hope yours was fun.

Neo, I learned some patterns way back (finger pickin)
Thanks - wow, virtual roses!
I can smell them...

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - It's a pretty easy progression.

And watch out for the thorns. ;)

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Been a long week full of thorns already! Thanks for the warning, I know with beauty there is also pain...

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I love Kansas! I have been a fan since the early 80s. Dust in the wind is a classic. How do i know? Just listen next time you're in a mall, an elevator or a grocery store. That's right, it's right up there with the instrumental versions of so many beatles classics, Clapton and even some Zeppelin.

~Mike

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

hi Mike, thanks for the visit! Always glad to meet other fans of my favs. Guess I grew up at the perfect time to learn n appreciate all the class acts before the world realized they were.
BTW The old vinyl LP was named "Leftoverture."

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

This comment's only to avoid an unlucky number...

I'm always torn not to set down the guitar for the violin at the break when playing that song... so I usually do it as a guitar solo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home