Monday, October 17, 2005

High Ground Party

There goes another 400 miles under my tires.
I was right, had to leave the wipers on the entire trip up there to the White Mountains. I couldn't even see any mountains, except the one(s) I was on at the time. Low, grey clouds were blocking the view.

Many natural features in northern New England have the nifty native-American names. I went over several rivers, such as the Merrimac, which was over the banks into the trees on both sides and looked like class-type 5 rapids the whole stretch I saw, moving very fast! Ya'd hafta be a suicidal fool to rubber-boat that one! But the bridges were all good. No detours needed, though off the highway there were a few large puddles, especially at mountain-base locations. The other water of note I passed very close to in places along route 25 was Lake Winnepesaki, which is constantly being drained because it's filled to the brim. Two cottages were actually in the lake instead of next to it! All the road-side ditches and fields were awash in water. I didn't encounter any damage scenes in my travels, and wasn't about to go out of the way to find them...

I was surprised the leaves along the way were still green. Usually by mid-October, they're at peak changed-colors (shades of yellow, orange, red, mid-browns). Folliage wasn't really turned yet until I reached the mountain place of destination in Choracua where the pahty was being held on a mountainside. The pouring buckets never let up until well after 9 pm., and I didn't get to take any disposable cam photos of leaves at all!
Originally the ceremony would've been idylic at the garden-archway outdoors, in sight of the mountains and colorful fall trees there, but the rain moved the show to inside the huge barn building nearby where the reception was set-up.

I must say the bride planned well, alot of good, healthy foods, and alot of variety. Many youngsters, some belonging to the newly wedded, were in attendence. The hor d'ouvres Platter had a selection of cheeses, crackers, strawberries, red grapes, pineapple, and three different mellon, all cut bite-sized and picked up to plates with tooth-picks. They also had waitresses parading about offering stuffed mushrooms and scallops, and briese.

The ceremony took place with all the guests ascending to the second-story wrap-around-balcony to watch. It was the quickest ceremony I've ever been too. After inspecting the architectural cross-beams leading up to a 4-story hieght with catwalks to entrances at the upper levels and the roof doors, I decided I liked the structure. Ya could fit alot of hay up there. Up on the beams overhead was this huge, carved from one tree, native canoe. I joked we might need it to get back to town. Then we descended and the party was begun. I had cool digs at table #2 with my dear friends from our baby-daze, the parents of the groom, with her other grown kids and spouse not in the wedding party, and grandkids. The DJ was a weird dude with a German accent who played Rod Stewart all through the dinner-hour.

Beware! If ya get hungry reading about food, skip this next paragraph, ya may go off your diet plan...
I'd picked beef for main course selections on the RSVP, and I got a 16-ounce steak with sweet potatoes, and asparagus. I only regret there was no deciding the doneness of the meat. It was rare, and I prefer well-done, but oh well, it was marinated, tasty, and edible (but the center was too red for me). The dancing went wild from that point on, with kids twirling and bouncing and plenty of party-movers. I only had one drink after the champagne, but some folks were very sloshed after 7 hours of open bar (free drinks!). Then after the cake which had a strange, crushed-egg-shell, sugar-batter consistency, were the good snacks, real macintosh and delicious apples, Italian canollies which had Ricotta rolled in a cookie with one end dipped in chocolate, finger-sized eclaires, and about three-hundred huge, candied apples in different varieties. I took some home with me, because I was already full from the main course food.

After the shing-ding I followed the mother of the groom back to the couples (full of over-night guests) house they were baby-sitting, where I had a place to park overnight and snooze. At least the air temperature stayed above 55 while I was there, with the wind picking up near dawn. I had a good visit. For the first time I saw my friend's and her hubby's siblings all in one spot. Some I'd met at odd intervals over the decades. It feels strange to see the kids you baby-sat when they were less than ten years old, now all around thirty years old, partying like you used to way back when you were that age and used to baby-sit them...

The little kids had a total blast, and every one got along well. It does feel wonderful to get to attend a happy occassion with such a fun-loving crowd... Even in the middle of nowhere on a mountain-side in the pouring rain, with umbrellas required to save the fancy outfits, was a good place to be.
There was a canope area attached outside for smokers, I've quit, but hung out a few times to talk with people there. Not bad, considering how the weather might've ruined plans made at a lower altitude location!

After a cup of tea I woke up enough for the trek back south. It still drizzled until I got out of the mountains, then finally let-up enough for me to pull out the wiper-fuse for the rest of the ride. There were even a few sunny breaks in the cloud banks.
By the time I got home, late yesterday afternoon, I was ready for my nap, very drowsy. But I brought in my gear and got it put away anyhow. Made a few calls, ate some canollies (Yum) then was out for the count until this am. Ready for another busy week... (yawn)
It's been very windy here since I got back, should help things dry-up a bit. The TV showed more rain was back-swirling in those same mountains today.

13 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Glad to see you made it home in one piece!
Your post sounded like you had a great time, notwithstanding the weather. Only too bad the leaves hadn't changed yet in the lower areas of NH.
BTW, I was drooling over the cannolis... grew up on them in my younger days. I get to still have them now as we have made them part of our dessert selection. Yummy!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I know it's spam, but I hate to trash that one in case some one can use a few tips...

Hi Ellen,
yeah, l o n g drive, I'm used to those, n I wanted leaf pix, saved a few film frames but there were no opportunities!
I'm grateful At least after 8 straight days of rain (for me), it stopped finally!
I wish I'd taken home more canollies (is"cannolis" how ya really spell it?), don't know, haven't looked it up yet, I'm not of Italian descent, I'd prob be 20 pounds heavier acausa them if I were, can't resist. My wedding friendz are though.

I just spent hours reading blogs I fell behind on, but I'm still so tired n not done yet... need more ZZZzzz s that thin mountain air does a number on ya! (maybe I was just squeezin too much fun in too little time...)

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Mad Mom said...

hi mommdaz32zqaZ (and gram)sounds like you had fun and steak at the wedding!!! hahaha..... and you made it back in one piece which is always a bonus!!!i have to do some shopping, i'll talk to you later...
kisses!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i discovered a good tip from janlle's mom on her blog.. that when you delete a comment, be sure to check the box "delete forever", and that will get rid of teh "deleted comments" in your comment area.


anyhow.. glad to hear you made it back and had good time.still anxious as to how mrs. e. reacted to seeing the place occupoied by those hooligans.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB
haven't talked to her yet, appt nxt Mon., the father of kid was here, changing main door locks, so now can't use the other door until get key. It wasn't fun loading the truck in the wind n rain on the outside steps.
Thanx 4 tip, but already knew, jus like the spam subject up there...

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Let me know if you want the recipe for cannolis. We make them like they came right out of the North end of Boston.... yum, yum, yum!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Welcome back!

You slept in your truck?

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo
Remember that I was a girl-scout or 10 years, (that's alot of camping experience) n did sleep in the truck (I have a cap). I'm very independent.

Ellen,
of course I want the recipe, I have some ricotta to use up this week... (I'm just afraid I'll eat 'em all) thanx for the offer!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Aye!

I know how ruffin it is. :p

At least it was warm while you were there. That rain must have been a bitch. But hey, we're survivors eh?

We take it and deal it.

Maybe someday, I'll share my stories of animals invading my camps!

;)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Ok, Snaggle, here goes:

5 lbs ricotta impastata w/o milk
2.5 cups granulated sugar
6 tbsp vanilla flavoring
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips
(yeilds 18- 20 cannolis)

mix all ingredients except chips in low speed mixer, after well mixed turn mixer on high for 10 minutes. Stop and stir in chips by hand gently. If you mix too hard the chocolate will melt and your cannoli mixture will turn brown.
Pipe cannoli mixture into shells, or you can try to get it in with an ice tea spoon.

Impastata ricotta is best to use as it is a thicker consistancy than regular ricotta. Regular ricotta is good for lasagna or stuffed shells (or manicotti)...
and if you need those recipes, I'll be happy to send them along as well. Happy eating!!!... or should I say, mangia mangia!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, sounds like you had your leg chewed off by a bear!
I know how to secure the food so they don't smell it and bother me.

Ellen,
wow, thanks for the recipe! I'm actually surprized at all the sugar n no egg...
That's enough goodies for one week...

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Kiwi (no not the fruit!) said...

Welcome Back Snag! Mmm all that food, I'm suddenly hungry. Well fortunately no bears or any real animal to pester you over here, although that kinda takes the fun out of it I suppose!
Sounds like a fantastic do though - mountain backdrop and all!!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Don't ya run into poisonous snakes? That's the critter type we don't get in this region.
But ya, was a good time, n I needed it. I've made some great life-long friends, just don't see them often anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home