Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Red Flops

My dad used to call the Red Sox that, because they'd lure ya in, make ya watch, give ya hope, then lose! He never lived to see them actually have a good year after the '67 season, last time they were AL East Pennant winners until last year, when we all got shocked with a miraculas World Series Win. And no one saw that coming... everyone was so used to the lost cause!
On "LOST," the TV series Jack's drunken doctor dad even says, about not knowing when to give up, "Thats why the Red Sox'll never win the World Series." The joke's on those who'll never realize it can happen, out of thin air, when it's least expected.

Now everyone thinks they're gonna do it again, even with all the New Wells and Schill pitching head-aches they've endured, and missing a few key players, Pedro the Met, and Cubby deserter, Nomar Garciaparra , from last year's roster. Matt Clement gave up a big, embarrassing loss against Chicago's White Sox last night. Mass. people are back to skippin outa work for their religious uprising of baseball faith.

I, myself, have belief that the game possibilities are never predictable until the last pitch is tossed. I used to be such a Cape League follower, until last year, and then the Sox won, and while I was choosing to watch them .... So I didn't break my pattern this year, trying to keep the luck flowing... again following them instead of attending the previous habit of local games. Also at my uncle, Mike's funeral last October, a toast was raised in his honor including participation of spiritual Benedictine Monks, a toast that the Sox win for Mike, cause he'd never given up hope for them. Then the Sox actually did it! But now this year, there has been no Uncle Mike toast with holy men in presence... I, myself, won't pray for such a petty want when there's so much other suffering demanding urgent aid. Perhaps my uncle with his brother Monks will pray for it.

How far does hope take us? How much does luck and chance actually play into outcome? Does wishing or praying make any or all the difference? Although I think I know the answer to these questions, maybe even I will be surprised when the answers play forth.
Oh say can you see... Batter up!

18 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

wow mom, since when were you interested in dating teens?! lol

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - LOL - It's funny, I've prayed for my Flyers and Eagles to win.

I don't know if it helps, but it couldn't hurt!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ya, it's a great feeling for all the fans when they win, the adrenalin rush of happiness! We're not there yet, game 2, - another down!
I haven't dated any teens since my late 20's, n it was embarrassing! (ah, puppy crushes... "why can't we?" whine~ "because your mother would kill me!...") I had a few teen followers at BK too... luckily there's an against the rules excuse there...

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Neo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Since the late 20's?!?

How old are you!!!!

J/K

You mean to tell me Burger King actually had a policy about workers dating other workers?

LOL

Why would it affect the production of burgers and fries?

LOL

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Very old... almost ancient!
Most places have non-fraternization between supervisors and employee rules...

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - So tell me what was the roaring 20's like?

LOL

j/k

I know about the policy.

Most of the people that wrote that policy were the one's that broke the rules.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

yeah, I noticed that. I also noticed kids making out in the walk-in Frig! Then there's the non-functional people after the break-up in the middle of a shift... (remember Tim's panick attacks?)
Not fun being short-handed doing crew work all night by yourself!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Hey I said NO ONIONS on my burger!!!

;)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

tim was a special case, i'd say.. with all the drug damage and all even before it got super bad

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger flleenie said...

All this talk about BK almost made me forget about the BoSox...almost

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ya, the Red sox better get on the ball today(Fri) or it's all done, then we'll know if it was the Monks wine toasting...

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Well, I can't have 13 commentz here while the games on... a comment on nothing...

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Mad Mom said...

hehehehehe... your talking about dave aren't you!?!?!?! hahaha.... smootchie smootchie..... and i'm sorry about the brain damage my ex-boy toy (also a teen at the time) gave tim.... that was unfortunate...... and unfortunatly i gave up hope on the sox today when they went from loaded bases w/ no outs to 3 guys left on base at the end of the inning...... i hate the suck you in and love you just to leave you gig... it's just not cool

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Looks like the botox, er bosox are done eh?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i support the local team just like the next guy, but really i think one world series in our lifetime is our limit.. this is the bosox after all, i don't think we could expect much more... and when the bases were loaded, we were like, "where's ortiz? we need ortiz".. lol of course he didn't come up. oh well.. bosox "luck" i guess

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

So everyone's chalking up a loss to luck and lack of timely talent...
I still think it's because the monks n I never toasted with wine to it...

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - I'll drink to that.

(a little off topic for a sec)

I setup Ellen for blogger today. So she'll be able to post comments after she logs in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home