Thursday, June 21, 2018

Sum Solstice

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Without radio music at work, I find my mind silently running through tunes in my memory. Alot of oldies are memorized in there. Sometimes I have fun rehashing Simon & Garfunkel for days.

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Recently I found myself revisiting old folk tunes from my teen-age guitar playing years, like "Blowin' in the wWind", "If I had a Hammer", ect...


Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

I haven't played them in decades. I'm always great at remembering the third verse of songs before I can recall the second for some reason.

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Sometimes the first words at the beginning of a song will elude me until after having the tune stuck in my head awhile. That happenned with "Bohemian Rhapsody" a few weeks ago. ("Is this the real Life, Is it just fantasy...")

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

There must be a gazillion lyrics in my brain.

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Learning lyrics to old tunes is a great way to pass time if I can recall what I heard the day before. New tunes I had never tried before is a big challenge as I work, while doing physical movement, but it's how I occupy my brain often.

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Last week I watched the film "Saturday Night Fever"  from the library. I never get sick of re-watching the dance sequences. I found myself memorizing the lyrics to "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees this week. Quite a mouthfull to get out in time.
I'd never realized they said "... The New York Times effect on man..." in there before.


Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Another Ancient tune I'd never liked to play haunted me for part of a day, remembered third verse first with it's short electric guitar rift , was "Proud Mary" with the refrain:  "...Rollin' on the River..." C to A, C to A, C to A, D G G G D... (chords). Drove me crazy.


Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

I wondered why it had surfaced, n bothered me. Then I recalled a river pic I took on my last trip from the car window. (I was not driving). 

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018

This is a crop of it with color changed.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2018


I like how some trees on the upper left are in focus while the rest of the scene blurs past. This is the one I used for today's altered pics.

Also it's how I feel about time lately.


Image by SnaggleTooth June 2018


Happy Summer Solstice!

10 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Small City Scenes said...

I find you Mandala very beautiful and as for older songs or rather lyrics I have a jillion in my head at any given time---LOL
MB

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

Have you found time to watch the Car Karaoke of that British comedian and Beatle Paul?? YOu might enjoy that as they tour Liverpool. If you watch at the library, you will, of course, need earphones.

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Thankyou, glad you like them. Older songs are easier for me to remember than new ones, but I'm good at mixing up those words, even when they were memorized before n played/sung with the guitar. Sometimes I forget I knew a song well until I hear it on the radio.

Tabor, no I haven't watched that yet. I am super at Beatles music too. A long time ago I won some karaoke prizes. I do like to sing aloud. Thanks,I'll look for that!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I missed remembering when it was Summer solstice. June 21st right? I do know all the songs you listed and now I am humming Proud Mary. LOL

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, Good to hear from you ! Yep, the 21st. Now I'll have to remember all the guitar parts to Proud Mary,then see If I can play it now.... Thanks

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Old songs never stuck with me.
I was the type of kid that had
to have it quit to do homework.
A car raido to me is as good as
a lighter and ash tray. I never
used them.

Give me a ticket for an air-o-plain
is the only tune that rain through
my brain but that was in nam and
I thought I was going home in a box.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, I grew up listening to Dale Doorman on WROR fm in Boston. I have always had a portable radio (have a Radio Shack one now). Always have cassette players too. Used to have a boom box in the '80's, LPs n turntables, Plus play guitar n sing. Always sang along too. "The Letter" is one of the tunes I play, n learned off the radio.
Thanks for reminding me, think I'll try to play it on guitar Weds.
vvvvvvvvvvv Here it is:

The Letter
The Box Tops
Songwriters: Polly Jean Harvey

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane
Ain't got time to take a fast train
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home
My baby, just-a wrote me a letter

I don't care how much money I gotta spend
Got to get back to my baby again
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home
My baby, just-a wrote me a letter

Well, she wrote me a letter
Said she couldn't live without me no more
Listen mister, can't you see I got to get back
To my baby once-a more
Anyway, yeah!


Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane
Ain't got time to take a fast train
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home
My baby, just-a wrote me a letter


Well, she wrote me a letter
Said she couldn't live without me no more
Listen mister, can't you see I got to get back
To my baby once-a more
Anyway, yeah!

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane
Ain't got time to take a fast train
Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home
My baby, just-a wrote me a letter, my baby just-a wrote me a letter


vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
There, now I knpw where I put the Lyrics!

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Neo said...

I get surprised sometimes when I'm listening to a tune I hadn't played in a while and remember the lyrics. Like where the hell do we store all this stuff and get that recall?

Btw, Paul Simon is suppose to play Central Park one last time before he retires. I think it's in September but I could be wrong. I'll check on that.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, My kids know all their tunes too, from cassettes while riding in the car. Wish I still had the huge book of their sheet music, but it was stolen by a neighbor in the early 80's. I prefer hard copy to screen reading.

I wish I could get to that Simon show! "Hello darkness my old friend... "

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Sorry I haven't been around as much, Snaggle. I always love your posts.

I was in the grocery store Friday and the Jackson Browne song, "Runnin' on Empty" came on the in the background music. I sang every word (quietly) along with it. Sometimes the old tunes are the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home