Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Tree Trunk

Image by SnaggleTooth 2011
The sunsets around 4:15 pm these days has really curbed my outdoor cam use. The 6th of the month already n I've taken zero pics so far! Also the sun's disk descent location has moved so far over now it's no longer over the cove water.

I've recently picked up alot of freeloaders out the window. I'd been tossing out stale bread goods for 3 grey squirrels, but a bunch more are now cavorting around out there, most noticeably 4 new smaller babies n parents. Today I counted 9! Yikes, that's alot of bouncy, fluffy tails fighting over crumbs.

A white with black cat was seen on the couch on the front porch on my way in several different nights, then running away. It dawned on me I'd seen him before a few times last summer eating the squirrel bread n shooed him away from the prime, baited, squirrel hunting spot by the Huckleberry tree.

Mischief has been refusing alot of canned food recently, so I started leaving a dish of the rest of the unused can contents out on the couch after work, n it's always cleaned out fast. I haven't seen who's eating it tho. Recently I noticed a different cat, black with a little white running away. Then that one started a loud cat fight with a long-haired grey cat out in the squirrel zone the other day. The grey one I know used to belong to a now deceased neighbor.

I'd thought the coyotes spotted around the past few years had been eating the strays out of existence, but apparently there's more out there hidden than I'd suspected. At least I don't think I'm feeding the oppossums... but sometimes I smell the skunks rooting for buried bread too.


Photo by SnaggleTooth 2011

Lucky for the critters I bring some extras home from work n don't eat it all. N I still have a pile of cheap cat food my cat is too picky to eat. There's quite a racket on the roof whenever I sleep later now- those darn tree rats are training me to hurry n open the window before that early sunset!

This pic was taken from the ground last week of Maplebeard's trunk where it splits reaching skyward. There's alot of hollows n critter homes up there. The feeding spot gets switched to around that tree near the porch once it gets too icy to open the window. It's still been so warm here- I'm still getting a beet crop growing out on the deck!

Back to a rainy day to sleep in for Day Off, but I'm sure the furry neighbors will wake me up anyhow...

10 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I guess I'm lucky that the sun sets an hour later here. But I'm not getting many outdoor shots either.

That's kind of you to feed the animals. And that makes me so sad that the long-haired gray cat lost its owner!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger TALON said...

Yes, these are such dark days. We've been having rain and snow for what seems like years. The short daylight hours are a true drag. It will nice to see it going the opposite way soon. How sweet you leave nibbles for all your furry friends, Snaggle. I feel for the stray gray cat. He must miss his old home, but sounds like he's adapting to a different way of life now.

I love that shot of Maplebeard! :)

Hope you get a good rest on your day off and that the critters are kind enough to creep about quietly!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Neo said...

You are the Mother Theresa of lost and hungry animals. :)

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I think you're lucky not to have a night shift too. N you get to drive in it too. I really miss being out in daylight. I've been feeding squirrels since I was little. My neighbor's girls grew up with mine. She had alot of chronic ailments. She used to walk 2 little dogs n the cat around everywhere. Don't know what the husband did with the dogs either.

Talon, You're more North n West of here- Must be a shorter sun peek for you now. I hope the Precip gets away from your zone- But it's here now! Clouds n mist here all week long too. I like sticking my head outside a few quick moments to see the animals waiting for me. Something to look forward to.
There are at least 3 cats out there- You know they're starving when they eat the bread. Thanks. They were quiet in the rain today, but popped right out for the goods on cue.

Neo, Maybe even St Francis of Asisi. I like knowing some of them survive only because I helped. I calculate about 10 or more squirrel generations have learned to come to my side yard.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I like beets! I really do!!! Hubby -- NO WAY on beets. :)

Wow, so many critters now depending on you it seems. Glad you have some cheap cat food. We were buying the expensive Iams until one day Jim brought home some less-expensive Friskies dry -- which our 2 felines LOVE!! So, that's great. KitKat is getting so chubby! He will eat the whole tin of wet food I put out for him before Mieshka can get her share, so I guess I'll go back to splitting the can, putting his half outside where he ate all summer after mieshka arrived. he would not even darken the door of the house for like, two whole months, once he realized "that thing" was seemingly here to stay. :)

Ahhh, forgot about how early the Northern sun does set. So lovely for the complexion, tho. All that UV damage avoidance. :) :)

xooxxo

P.S. Thinking my next post may be a typo one, or maybe the second-next one! Or 3rd next. We'll see when it makes its entrance

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, well mine are little n skinny right now. I'd never known they were frost hardy plants. Never heard of folks not liking them before!
I hate to think of the fit those squirrels would pitch if I stopped... Friskies dry is Mischiefs fave too- canned I switch around alot, She mostly just licks the gravy off.
I get so little Sunshine I have to take extra Vitamin D. I'd rather get it free! ooo Can't wait for more Funny Iypos!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

The weather has been quite mild here recently, although wet so I have managed to get outside quite a bit. also my daughter is studying photography so I've been taking her outside too.

I've never heard of a tree rat!! Doesn't sound nice though!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, So the UK has been milder too... way over on the other side of the ocean. I hope your daughter n you are having alot of fun with the film pics. Cloudy exposures are easier due to less glare n contrast I think.
I hope you know that's my nickname for the squirrels because they're rodents n sometimes annoying.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Slacker! Come on keep up Ev!

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, ... zzz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home