Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ides

Photo by SnaggleTooth March 15 2011
.
.
During sophmore year in High school, I remember reading Shake-
speare's play, MacBeth. The words "Beware the Ides of March" has come to mind every March 15th ever since. I'm left with an inbrain image of Lady MacBeth trying to rub imaginery blood off of her guilty hands...
.
The Ides were my Day Off this round, n not a bad day for me after all. It's been really cold, n I slept late. The hour ahead thing has me too tired lately, but I got out in the daylight before sunset on the way to the market. (I stopped at the D-bridge for this pic).
.
I've been feeling fortunate after watching the events of the past week in Japan, from the big quake n tsunami to the nuclear plant explosions, n then radiation leaks. So much loss, trauma, n hardship no one should ever have to bear. At times I think I have it tough, but it's nothing compared to that stuff...
.
I can't imagine doing without TV news in my life at this point. A co-worker stopped watching TV last year, n hasn't seen any of the video. She won't touch a computer, either. She does listen to radio, but that's so limited these days compared to other current media.
.
The thought of living with blinders on really bothers me. I feel a need to pay attention. Somehow my life seems alot easier to know of the troubles going on for others. So altho I'm having issues to deal with recently, without the outside news, I'd feel much worse, instead of lucky.
.
I'm so glad to have shelter n electric power, too. I don't even have to be afraid to stand outdoors a few minutes. Being told not to, as many folks in Japan have been due to the radiation risk, would do me in!
.
Superstition of the Ides of March has proven mute in regard to the previous week's events. Now we're all bracing for more price increases related to Japan's disaster in the near future.
Luck is so relative to perception...

12 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Luck is so relative to perception. Exactly. I can't imagine walking around with blinders on either - I know someone like that, too. She can't stand to hear or talk about anything troubling or traumatic.

Thanks for the D-bridge pic - as I always say, you live in such a beautiful place.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, what a quick comment! I've been very vigilant since 9/11 n can't imagine not knowing about Haiti or Japan. Also, you can't pray for folks you don't know are in trouble- I don't know how I'd find good in my day without this place, thanks!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Nice pic.

Yeah, the world has taken a bit of a beating over the past couple of months, and it does make you wonder from time to time.

I don't think I could live in complete vacuum like that. The best I can do really is not listen to the radio, which considering that my car stereo is broke and my radio at work gets exactly four FM stations (five on a very good day), isn't missed that much.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Sometimes I put my head in the sand and pretend that if I don't think about it, it will go away. That's rubbish of course. But that's because my mind works overtime and I take the world's burdens on my shoulders. But I could never avoid all the terrible things that are going on around us. As you say, it puts our own lives into perspective too.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Neo said...

And perception is only relevant to observation and understanding. :)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger TALON said...

It's good to be awake and aware, but I also know some people who are obsessed with the news. I guess it's about balance. For sure, though, it wouldn't be a good thing to live in a bubble oblivious of all that goes on around you. The world is so much more than the sum of one person. Mind you, others would probably be quick to prick that bubble :)

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

I'm going along with Talon. I think we have to have some blinders or we never make it worrying about every little then. Life goes on. If we try and take in every little thing we'd go mad. If we go mad they would start calling us writers.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Snaggle -- that's so true. We don't realize how good we have it until something like the utter loss in Japan puts it well into perspective.

I only watch "good" news on tv. You just have to tune to the right channel :)

I sure wish they had those America's Funniest Videos 24 / 7 /365. We 3 love watching those.

xoxo

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ugh- Blogger just ate a Lonngggg response comment!

G, Thanks. Even a brief pic vaca is good. I always wonder what's next- I think FM radio reruns are terrible these days! TG The old cassettes still work-

llcoolJ, I tend to take the world stuff personally too- But at least I can pray for the poor folks. I know I'm better not focusing on myself, too- thanks.

Neo, n you can think you know a bunch of stuff, n then some new info presents itself, n changes your opinion! You can only know what they choose to tell you...
(but I knew those 4 in a row were gonna blow-)

Talon, Balance is always a wise choice, especially for those with compulsive personality. My bubble has been popped before. Since 9/11 I've been paying more attention. There is a price for ignoring it all-

Ellis, I think focus is needed to get our projects done, but some events are too important to ignore. Living in the blind also can deprive the creative of inspiration. I'm a writer, so already mad!

JanF, I feel lucky to still be alive, n still see the water out the window! I used to gloss over the tragedies when the kids were young too. But now I don't have to n don't ignore it all-
I agree AFV is great for family laughs still, after all these years!

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Neo said...

hmmm maybe I know something they don't?

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Neo said...

oh 10, er 11. ;)

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, You shouldn't line up things in a row that go boom, n need power without a back-up generator, 'cus sometimes the power goes out- Duh

Neo, where are the rocket scientists when you need them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home