Thursday, August 28, 2008

High Expectations

Photo by SnaggleTooth Aug 28 2008

I was so depressed today, when watering the deck plants, to discover the squirrel had torn off the bud of the sunflower. After reaching a height of about four feet, it was about to open any day. It was the only survivor of about twenty seeds planted. After waiting for that one blossom the past three months, I was really looking forward to seeing the largest bud I've had in years open. I wanted to take Sunflowers's photo.
.
The bare-topped stem shares a flower pot with apparently un-tasteful n less pretty companions which were left unharmed. The remnants of the delicate petals were a couple feet away on the railing.
.
Usually I throw unused, stale bread n sandwich remnants out the window for the squirrels on the other side of the house. When I sleep later, once in a blue moon on my day off, the little buggers go nuts out there without my offering. Today was a sleep until 4pm day. That's the thanks I get... Grrrh...
I just wasted a perfectly good clove of garlic cut-up out on the deck, (which I'd rather cook), hoping to slow down the pesky critters.
.
At the market today I walked past some sunflowers marked $6.99 each. But I don't want those ones. I want the one I grew myself! This is what it feels like to be a farmer n lose the crops... To want to shoot the fox for taking your best egg-laying hen...
.
I've been so tired lately. In two weeks, I've had two truck break-downs, an infected tooth-ache, n this week after finishing the anti-biotics, n finally feeling a bit better- BOOM!
A tall person at work left some heavy, metal things in a place they shouldn't have been. I happened to be walking by when the items fell off their perch n hit me.
.
That was two days ago. Now I have a slight head-ache. I've been eating generic tylenol like candy. (I refused to go get some better drugs- I'm not alert enough as it is- n I want to be!). I look like some one slammed me up-side the head. I could get away with pretending to be a battered abuse victim, n they'd believe me...
.
I really needed my rest today on Day Off. (No I didn't take off work, can't afford it). I also needed the sunflower I grew to brighten my day, (Rats*)!

9 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

How about some prayers and an e-smile from a friend?

I love this beautiful shot. It is gorgeous. Perhaps your pesky squirrels will plant a few sunflower seeds so you get wild sunflowers?

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Xray, thanks. I can finally smile again today- my cheek has been too sore.
I think the squirrels are what happened to all the other sunflower plants that sprouted- They raid the sunflower seeds out of the bird feeder too.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Damn squirrel! I know this is all part of the circle of life and all, but sometimes it would be nice if the predators would leave well enough alone just long enough for us to appreciate the beauty of new life.

Your words captured the moment nicely, though. May more seeds yet bloom.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Skye said...

Helloooo! :) I'm sorry about the sunflower, that would bummed me out too. Great pictures I like the cloud one with lots of color.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Carmi, Thanks for getting it. I'll have to wait at least another year for enough time to grow them again- Maybe next time I'll chicken-wire them!

Skye, Thanks, the color that day was dreamlike. I liked all the pics taken that day, was tough only choosing a couple to post.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

Oh can I ever relate to the pesky squirrel problem. One of the things I loved best about the last house I lived in was that it came with two pear trees in the back yard. And come spring, the buds would open, bloom, fade and turn into ... well... pears. And every year while they were still too green and hard to eat without damaging a tooth, those furry little bastards would come and strip the tree clean.

Oh well, at least the blossoms were pretty for the little while they lasted.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Mojo, thanks for the visit. I'd prob go out of my mind trying to keep the pears from getting raided! I had a neighbor once who'd managed to have peaches from his tree every year- too bad I didn't ask him what he'd done...

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I'm so, so sorry!!!

I'll grow some for you over here... now that it's almost time to plant the seeds - though it's not the same, huh.

The shot is gorgeous here... hope you found some solace in the view.

:)

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

CJ, thank you for upcoming sunflowers halfway around the planet. As you start the growing, our warmth becomes fleeting.
The view is the best part of this place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home