Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Like Jelly

My 4th holiday:
Luckily, I was so tired from work, I slept through all the summer holiday noise. I was up for about 2 hours after a phone call, n then got to go back for another nap til 4pm. My first 7 hours of sleep in one day in weeks!
...
Then at 6 it was off for a walk to visit my daughter n family down the hill from my place for dinner. We went out n played with the baby awhile. He's so cute at 1.5 years old, walking, talking, dancing, n playing. It reminds me of old times with my kids before they got busy with growing up n going to school.
...
It took me two days to finally fix my cell phone so it would work again, n too late today to call my other daughter n grandson. One of the many down-sides to being on an opposite schedule from everyone else! I guess I can't leave the phone in my pocket at work anymore. It's the third time the phone lost power there already. The job's very physical. My wrist is acting up too. It's been so hot n humid lately. I'm hoping the soreness abates before work begins again.
...
Still, after the late news I managed to play the national anthem in honor of the holiday n a couple more tunes on my violin before becoming too sore for the wrist. Straight! Keep it straight! no bending! Tall order for the right, writing n bow hand...
...
In the news on the Cape this week, are the swimming bans in effect in Falmouth, Nantucket, n off-Cape in Westport (in the water's known as "Buzzard's Bay") because of numerous Portuguese Man-O-War sightings. 14 people have been reported to be treated for stings at local hospitals so far. The large royal blue n violet top-floating, toxic, jellyfish can have tenticles over forty-feet long, n still have poisonous sting capability hours after beaching.
I might have a violent reaction to that one, as I have to many things (like normal jellyfish stings, horsefly bites, n bee-stings), so I haven't been in the water yet, unusual for me. The tropical invertebrate fish haven't been seen here in many decades. Only one, once, that I can remember. Not over 50 of them, in a spread-out area as we're currently experiencing.
...
I'm paraniod enough about the sharks, already.
So, erring on the side of caution, my normal "over-my-head" (I wrote a song with that title awhile back) swimming excursions are on hold. I don't like fresh-water swimming, or paying for it, so I'm keeping out of Buzzard's Bay a few more weeks to see what the reports are.
...
The only jelly I want will be on the Peanut butter n bread for lunch...

12 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

happy fourth ( a day late) i was hiding from tourist last night

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks David, hope yours was alright! I just stay inside to hide, usually. Lately I've mostly just been working too hard.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

yuck.. those port o war's creep me out.. the moment i heard that they were all over i immediatly got the willies.. they're so dangerous.. don't screw around with those things.. uh uh, no way josé! so i don't blame you. glad you made it through the holiday without wringing anyone's necks!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Hmmmmm, I'd love to hear ya play violin some day. Get that rest in, I know with the weekend coming, I'm planning on catching up with some. Gotta run, the stream is calling me.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

PS. Put some ice on that wrist. :)

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Ya I'm majorly paraniod of those things. Mostly I didn't get into it with the E's cause I was either workin, sleepin, or hidin!

Neo, See the electric vio-stick is so easy to play, but loud, so I practice on the old strativarius copy "whiney" one, which makes me try harder. (n doesn't wake people up)Bet you'll hear it sometime... just not really soon!
My fav practice tune lately is "Eleanor Rigby"
I hope my wrist doesn't get as bad as last week-

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Ewwwww.... jellyfish....yuck, ick!
I haven't seen one in years, but never forget when they invaded the beaches in Connecticut. They actually are kind of pretty they way they float around... unless you see a whole school of them, then they look deadly!
Last week there was a story on National Geo Channel about jellyfish in Australia, and how deadly they are.... one sting was all it took. Just another reason why I no longer get in the ocean.
(Jaws scared the stuffing out of me years ago.) Give me a nice pool anyday!

I also can't wait to hear you play violin. It's always been one of my favorite musical instruments... along with the flute. We really do need to get you and Neo together for a jam session, it would be a treat for all of us!

Also very glad to read that you had a chance to get some much needed sleep. I know how hard that is to do with the tourist season in full bloom at the Cape. Your new mantra: Labor Day is only a few short months away....repeat.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, When I saw Jaws at the theatre the first time, in the head rollin out the underwater boat-hole scene, I threw my popcorn on the people behind me(jumped a mile)!
Then from metro-west my buddies n I went down to the original hang-out Cape-house, n found a 6-foot dead shark on our beach, (very stinky) but proof that they're there.
I've jumped in the ocean, even off boats way out in the bay, many times. guess I'm just more careful lately.
I need to get my hands back in gear to play any performances...
n Labor Day, looks like I may be workin my tale off for the tourists... but after that, butter! good mantra-

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jinsane said...

I'd love to hear you play violin!

Hope all is well! ;o)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Hope you're hands are doing better. I'd love to try to play violin sometime, it's a very peaceful sounding instrument.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jinsy, Sorry I don't have a decent recording set-up here right now. I still do cassette analogue tracks... someday I'll have time to figure it out for online. I kinda need to quit my job to do the fancy fingerworks tho-

Neo, vio is very tough to learn the technique, so it sounds soothing instead of squeeky- which I did when startin out (like everyone else).
I'm kinda a loud n obnoxious player, n use it more like ya would a guitar lead sometimes! I also do alotta back-up (covers)- takes me awhile to figure out what to play against tunes sometimes. Generally, I'd like more time to devote to it!
It does sooth me...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

boston is falling apart - good thing you are way way out there, stay cool!
California is burning again

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, I'm about to post about that- I've been right there myself before! Not lately, n not again soon... Stay cool up there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home