Thursday, November 03, 2005

Leaf Me

Here're some leaves from around my yard today. The sample includes: ecliesiastic, oak, lilac, maple, ash, and bamboo. I looked for the best I could find, n this was it! Previous years were much better pickins!I had the scanner hooked up today anyway, working on another project. The strong winds this pm are carrying most of the leaves quickly away down the hill.

I finally almost see a little color out there in the couple a hundred trees across the street. I found my first faintly red-tinted Maple leaf this fall thus far on my deck yesterday, only one. The rest are mottley-brown and yellow. In the past this maple tree has displayed brilliant yellows and oranges used in popular family photo backgrounds. One oak tree leaning over the road is loaded with rusty-orange-red-brown, but the rest are still green, n dropping their leaves green or dead brown.
The color has been very dim. It was also like this here in '91, the year of hurricane Bob, so perhaps the persistant rain-storms n lack of sunlight conspired to rob the usual effects.

I remember one long ago autumn filling up a 9x12 manilla envelope with pretty leaves every shape n color of the rainbow, and sending them to an ill, hospital-bound person who'd expressed missing the colors. If it'd been this year's batch, they would not 've seen any good ones!

Bland, without spice! Like chicken soup without garlic and tyme. Missing the joyful, loud, natural color show I've been spoiled with many years.

7 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

If there is one thing I miss more than the ocean, it would have to be the brilliant fall foliage of NE. We come a little close down here, but not as bright and not as much as I'd like. So thanks for the pics, it reminds me of nice Indian summers and brilliant landscapes.
What a sweet idea to gather up some for an ill person not able to get out to see them first hand... I'll have to remember that.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

earlier in the fall i thought about taking pictures and posting htem online for others to see.. that however was before the month of october, and thus before the month on no sunshine until halloween! needless to say i never took pictures, b/c the color is just blah this year.. altho the tree in the front yard was a beautiful yellow

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Mad Mom said...

i like that picture!!!! i'm fond of running the baby around and looking for the perfect leaf to pick so he can play/eat it to his hearts content... i found a beautiful yellow one, almost perfect at stop and shop this mornign...... baby loved it
!!!!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - The trees here in Philly are FINALLY starting to change, I should be able to get a few nice photo's soon!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, guess I'm lucky to not be missin either the ocean or the leaves, but I really think they're not too good this year! Ya I can imagine how much I would laugh at getting a big envelope full ogf nothing but leaves! Beauty n laughter are the best pain-killers.

MB, the lack of sunshine until this week has put off alot of photographers including me, and the colors too.. I did take two flower n leaf bg photos on the deck today, finally.

BBM, thanks for liking the picture! It's not an actual photo, but a scan of leaves I put directly on the glass. I did some more with the bright red n orange trumpet flower berries where ya can really tell how bland the leaf colors are next to them. Lso I had ther small, red, oak leave upside-down by accident... This scanner isin't as flexible as the old one. Files are huge, full-size, n 300 dpi (to be printer compatable) is over 25 megs per scan. Thought I was runnin low on memory before!

Neo, hope yours go better than ours...

Morgs, I think the leaves are mostly ugly like yours there, not as good as I'd hoped. I tried hard to hide the brown mottled spots in this pic... High res on scan helped, I think. I could unnaturally fix color on it if I wanted to in Paint Shop Pro, but like the natural tones the way it came out.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Wow.... what an awesome idea... sending leaves to someone in hospital. Too sweet! :)

Autumn (Fall) is my absolute most favourite time of the year. Those colours, the smells, winds... makes me feel so alive.

Looking forward to seeing all that you find!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Using Up the Words,
Thanx! What's in these scans may be all there is to find this year. It's beginning to get dark so early in the day (4:15) and cool out. I just hate closing the curtains n door to stay warm. So strange to hear on your page about you being in the summer heat there! The boring winter's on the way here too soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home