Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Will A Me? Nah...

Having a blustery storm day of the well publicized nor'easter kind. It's going fairly well in my area. The usually very calm, sheltered cove near the window actually had the largest breaker waves I've seen since Hurricane Bob in '91. At two hours past high tide, the water level's still at the regular high water mark. The seaweed deposits show the water was up to the grass area above the beach sand. I didn't check the beach out until the storm waned. I feel fortunate to be on a south-facing shore village. The Portugese fisherman left his boat n platform at the mooring, n it's still floating. I'm sure North-facers aren't fairing as well. Seas are pretty high up out there. It's hangin at a steady 43 degrees F on the thermometer now.
Looks like lots a high altitude snow in hills north and west for MB. I heard this pm that even Pittsburg got snow.

This morning a dump-truck hauling a mobile house-trailer tipped over on the Bourne bridge, glad I missed it! Bet everyone was very late for work. That's a very windy spot with all the construction sections flapping loudly overhead. That off-season traffic has been hell on the daily bridge hoppers this year, worse than before when I was doing it. The ferry service was down too.

I still have power. The worst of the mess seems to be the wet, wind-blown leaves n branches everywhere in the road. Ya know it wasn't too bad here when none of the couple hundred trees across the street are down (that I could see in my travels). They've already gone through many high winds before. The rest of the hardy flowers out on the deck that'd still survived all now have bent stems. It could be much worse, I'm lucky. Still pretty gusty out there, The 3' tall cosmos are flagulating themselves against the window... ouch!
The stores were dead as a door-nail during errands around noon-time, usually it's much busier. It's another economy-buster!

I feel for all of the many villages blown and flooded to shreds this year, the list is getting so long for one season, I hope it doesn't get longer. Looks like alot of places I've seen when in Miami got a good whacking. Wonder what the 6 pm high tide will do to the rest of the MA coast. Looks like I'm getting through this one alright, and I'm grateful! It's amazing my connection is working!

11 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I've been watching the weather and it looks like the New England coast as well as New York and Philly are in a vice with Wilma on one side and the nor'easter on the other. I'd say stock up and hunker down, but I remember that you are a girl scout and already have that taken car of.
Good luck, hope it doesn't get too cold. Makes me feel stupid for whining about our little cold snap down here. It's survivable, by far, and we've had nothing but great weather compared to everyone else.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Ellen,
it's not really bad here, storm-wise, considering. This drafty, old house has always been like a camp out, anyhow! I wish I had the key for downstairs again so I could use some weatherstrip tape on the holes, but that was the appt. I cancelled... Didn't want the land-lady to take chances driving from the south shore in The weather. Luckily, I'm used to punishment!
I'm just upset I didn't get any sunny photos of my flowers before this, but there hasn't been any sun! I'm big on homemade cards, original pix only, there goes all the blooms... I feel their pain...
Thanks for the wished anyways, I appreciate it.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Sounds like you're about to get some snow!

It's been very cold here. Almost like we're getting dropkicked by old man winter.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo,
still need to drop 10 degrees with cloud cover, we'll see what that Canadian air does...
yep, I liked that "whoopass" remark on your blog, planet's on the war-path, now a drop-kick to break the neck... Well, not the neck, yet! I think I've gotten it easy so far, Earth knows I've been fightin for it...karma

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - ;) I'm just bringing it sister.

:)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger flleenie said...

Just to let you know, we survived Wilma just fine. Honestly, I couldn't imagine being taken out by a cartoon character. We lucked out in fact, as the storm passed well to our south and we didn't even experience a thunderstorm. Other parts of Florida unfortunately are looking at about 2 to 3 weeks without power and massive cleanup. Of course they called off school and Pete didn't have to work either. I of course had to work and ended up getting alot accomplisjhed that day!! Love to all. E

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

thank goodness the fam in fl is doing well!

how did it go with the ellis'?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Fleen,
saw ya missed the action on the radar, the prayers paid off again. Wonderin about Rodg n Gdrn's in Ft Meyers though. The everglades natives n Dade county (where I drove through) got it bad, places looked very familiar, n not a good place now without ac n supplies, pretty scary!How lucky we are!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB waiting for Friday now...

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Hope you are keeping dry, warm and safe there.
Those poor cosmos. I just planted some seeds.... if they come up, and I'll grab some sunny pics for you on this end. :)

Thanks for stoping by.

Take care over there.....

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

You're welcome using up the words, wish I'd gotten over sooner.Good blog, there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home