Thursday, March 02, 2017

Nickle n Dime



Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017


Back when I was a little girl I remember going to the local "5 n Dime" store with a nickle where I could always find these little, ceramic, figurines. Some were animals, or fish, or odd items.

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017


I used to love the soda fountain counter too, but seldom had enough cash for that. I could always afford the figurines tho. I'd buy them for gifts sometimes.



Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017



Those stores are long gone these days, but I'm still bumping into these little, odd, ceramic figurines that are free inside the Red Rose Tea I prefer for my wake up drink. I have tons of these stored away somewhere. I do like the animal ones alot.

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

Yesterday, I had to refill my Tea Jar n Raw sugar supplies. I laughed to see this unexpected, tiny, one-inch tall, ceramic, White House!

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

What timing this week after that big  presidential speech too. I try to keep most of my political beefs off ESR, but because this one struck me funny, here it is!

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

Of course it's been made a bit different in color n repeatedly reflected for appreciation purposes for presentation here...


Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

Next I'd like to find the Space Shuttle one...

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

Even Legos came out with a "Women of NASA" series this week on the news.

Image by SnaggleTooth March 2017

I made it through Star Trek VI in the movie series this week. About to go through the Next Generation films next.


Photo by SnaggleTooth March 2017

How small would the president have to be to fit in this scale...?


12 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I really learned something here. I did not know those figurines were in the Rose Tea which I have sometimes seen. I would like to see untouched photos of some of your favorites.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, in my room I have 2 orange seahorses in front of a small mirror on my desk lamp base, too dusty at this time. Most of the rest are in storage across town somewhere. I liked the ark animals best, like the rhino, zebras, geese, bunnies I had on the kitchen shelf at the old house, n 2 containers full off others. My old cam stunk at macro pics so not many of those. Some where on ESR are some mermaids on the windowsill planters. I liked the nautical ones out too. I have some around n will clean them up for pics sometime. Most of the plants they were in are done, planters stored away. That will take awhile, storage will wait until I move.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Seahorses here
https://snaggedt.blogspot.com/2015/10/tough-like-duct-tape.html

Mermaid n gull here
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Y0yu4g50q1o/V5EjHEcPaOI/AAAAAAAAIgM/R7ZSIATtWKYbOL8lFcIfUTcIR4biKPNhwCLcB/s1600/Dscn2534sunflwrc2.jpg

Searching the ESR bar at the top gets a few put in " windowsill"

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

That's so neat that those figurines are in a box of tea - better than Cracker Jacks! I've never heard of that kind.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

My greatest memories of my childhood come from visiting the 5 & Dime with my grandmother. I too collected miniatures and wish often that I still had them.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger cube said...

I have memories of the 5 & 10 myself. I grew up in NYC and I used to get little toys from the vending machines. My friends and I used to trade them.

I didn't know about the Red Rose Tea miniatures. I love tea so I'm definitely going to buy some the next time I go to the supermarket.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, cracker Jax used to be fun surprises too! Maybe it's a regional brand? I've been drinking it for decades. No heartburn issues either. Lipton always gets me.

Annie, yep the old trinkets have a way of disappearing when we grow. At least you don't have to pay storage to keep them! I have a bunch of broken ceramic horses too.

Cube, that's a childhood experience our generation can't give to the kids. Now there's DollarTree. You may get hooked on that tea, n the miniatures. Hope you can find some around there, it's not too expensive like celestial seasonings is. Good n smooth. I don't wake up without it.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger colleen said...

My sons English grandparents only drank Red Rose Tea. I only remember the little toys in cereal boxes and cracker jax, which I didn't like except for the toys. Your kaleidoscope art knocks me out!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger cube said...

My favorite tea is Earl Grey, but I will look into Red Rose Tea for the miniatures. How different can it be?

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Colleen, yep, red rose replaced Salada for me ages ago. Glad you enjoy my pic addiction. It all started so long ago...

Cube, I think it is a smoother flavor. Happy Tea Time!

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger cube said...

I look forward to expanding my tea palate. Thanks for the info.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

cube, no problem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home