Sunday, April 07, 2013

Taxing

Photo by Snaggletooth April 2013



The past few weeks I've been too busy n exhausted to get my normal blog post out.

Income tax season just ate my attention up for weeks. The Federal form went easy enough online in TurboTax, but the State form just wouldn't get done right. It would not let me do the Healthcare worksheet needed to prove I didn't need to pay. Then they wanted a separate $36 fee for filing an erroneous, unfixable in edit mode, state return.

So I had to skip Day Off sleep again, get to the Library when open for a form, do the form- (12 hours of reading hell-), then get copies of everything at Staples another day, then get the right ones barely fitting in the provided envelope right, (had skipped a copy page somewhere, went out for another copy), n then finally made it this week to the post office window to pay extra postage to mail it out.

I'm so relieved I won't be down to the last day- besides, I really wanted my money back faster than I'll get it with the paper route.

Then I got easily distracted with some movie watching n book reading. I finally saw The Hobbit on dvd, n find I really liked the film Thor, which someone gave me.

I interrupted the detective novel, Heat Rises by Richard Castle, with a $1 book buy at the library used rack The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart. The story of Merlin in ancient Britain really swept me away from my troubles. Now I want the other two books of the trilogy to continue. Oddly enough, both of those paperback books on my kitchen table have similar yellow sunset pics on the cover!

The yard work finally got started, n there's still plenty of sections left to de-branch n rake. A few pieces have to get sawed up to move, they're so heavy- Leftover blizzard aftermath...

I finally found the planting supplies I'd hidden away last fall, n planted a few seeds. I have tons I'd wanted to plant earlier but hadn't time to get the stuff out. Now the veggies will be slower to be able eat this year. It's been too cold to start the normal March seedlings this year.

I was going to post several times this week, but have felt too drained for it. It just took days to get this one done. Pic processing after Day off, another day upload, (fell asleep waiting), today after work the words finally spilled out- after days of knowing what about already. Sad, posting took me so long.


The pic was taken on my walk home from mailing out my state tax form. Freezing n windy, but isolated, n so beautiful at the front beach- May your taxes be much less taxing than mine!

11 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

Well I guess I know where I stand in your life! ;-)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger TALON said...

I'm glad you did post, Snaggle. I was wondering how you were. Oh, taxes, are just plain yuck...we got ours done last week... whew! So that's it for another year.

Glad you had some movie and reading time! I've been wanting to see The Hobbit...it's been getting such mixed reviews.

Sweet on the planting...always makes it feel officially spring-like. Here we keep getting snow showers and little sun. Nothing is blooming in the garden except the crocus which have come up, but refuse to open. Can't say I blame them! :)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

What a lovely walk to take you mind off where you are going. No one wants to think about the tax man. We have been so caught up, I failed to send the signed forms back to our CPA so she could file our taxes online. She emailed me a reminder and I was so glad because completing our tax filing was the the last thing on my mind.

We always hope that our cup overfloweth with goodness but somehow you and I both have our cups overflowing with one tiring thing after another.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, Your second, right after getting the nagging paperwork over with. It only took me 2 months of Days Off!

Talon, I've just been down to the wire too many times- n need the money so bad. What a hassle I went thru! Wait until the Healthcare form is on everyone's Federal return for 2014!
I did like The Hobbit movie- explains alot of LOR back story.
I'm sure your Croci will bloom precisely when they want to! Won't be long now- we hope! Thanks

Gran Annie, I make a point of the beach detour when spending too much free time fretting over this stuff! Our state form is the worst with the Health Care requirement. I always do mine myself. Once someone else did them, n messed it up good! Yep, Fate is keeping us pretty busy!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I'm glad you got the tax stuff straightened out. It's a pain (I had to deal with an IRS letter a few weeks ago, which freaked me out.)

And I used to love Mary Stewart books - that one is good.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I was freaked out about the online thing not working right- then missing Day after day of sleep trying to get it right ontop of my normal duties. Taxes are really taxing! So glad your tax thing went well for you. Yes, Mary Stewart easily grabbed my attention- Thanks

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I can definitely sympathize with crappy state taxes.

In our state, only certain tax forms piggyback the format of the Feds, namely being able to fill them out online, then print and mail (which is blessing for me).

The main form to actually file your taxes with, you can't. You have to print it out and write it out by hand. And if your handwriting is garbage like mine, it becomes an adventure in legibility.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

That's cool you'll be getting a refund. Will you be able to get a new computer with the money?

Not sure if I will be getting any money back. Had to file an extension as ours is more involved this year, me with my own business now. I have a lot of work to do to get the numbers ready for the accountant. Probably won't get a refund, now that I think of it, because of us having to pay the I.R.S. back after we lost the car business. Oh well, it'll all work out somehow.

Texas has no State income tax, so I guess I should count my blessings on that! That's why people like to move here.

I bet your veggies will be very tasty when they are ready, maybe a bit later than usual, but probably well worth the wait. I can taste them now.

Glad you got some R&R with reading, the Universe told you to enjoy things.

I hope I can blog again soon. I've got so much extra work lately, and wanting to buy plane tickets to Canada for August. It will be 4 years this summer since I've been home. That's so so long. Maybe after August I'll be able to work less. We'll see.

Blue Bunny says he wants to post soon, so maybe I'll be back in the swing soon. I hope anyway.

Take care!!

xoxo

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, I definitely shouldn't have to spend weeks to get it squared away. I didn't make enough to justify that hassle, n can't pay to get just a few bucks back either. CT is similar in complexity. Hope your hand doesn't cramp too much! Mine did...

JanF, I'm getting very little back, the money is owed to bills already, but I may have to wait months for it here. One time they held it until August for the budget folks.
No accountant for me- not a choice. Have to read the whole instruction book.
If you show a loss with the car thing, you won't owe. Lucky no State thing there- You'd go crazy with a business here-
I may have to wait til October for beets n carrots this year.
the universe told me I needed to get away from tax reading!
Hope you make it to visit your Parents this year.
BB should just do a quick silly thing now n then, will check there soon on the fast machine.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Who are the budget folks? beets and carrots fresh in October sound good to me. Yeah, BB's been telling me to post. and Easter Bunny is telling me too.

Have not even looked at my tax stuff since I was last here. Took pix for 10 ebay auctions, tho. And resized and named about 12 pix for a pictorial post, oh joy, oh bliss for Snaggle -- another thing on the Fast Machine. The Steve McQueen Computing Dream. :)

I think I WILL make it up to Ma 'n Pa's this summer!! And the nice thing about ebay is I can put out an "Away on Vacay" sign and all remains peacefully on hold.

Anyhooooo, just poppoing and popping back to one of my alltime favorite top bloggers to say hi. I did read your newer post will comment eventually!! :) Stay warm and dry. Tho there is nothing quite as great as the feeling of slipping into a clean cozy sweatsuit after a long hot bath following a nice cold wet rain walk.

xooxox

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, When the State Budget wasn't approved yet, they made everyone wait for state funds for their check, Really- I wish I had a race car computer! That would be fun! These things should come with a steering wheel... Vroommmmmm-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home