Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vets Day 2010

Photo n Image by SnaggleTooth
.
According to Wikipedia, this holiday began as Armistice Day in 1919, enacted by Woodrow Wilson, after World War I. The Armistice ending the conflict was signed by Germany on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.
.
President Dwight Eisenhower changed the wording from "Armistice" to "Veterans" on June 1, 1954. It's also known as Remembrance Day in other countries.
.
Recently the trend has been for businesses to stay open, n few employees, except federal workers now get the day off. Our local schools are closed for the occassion. There's parades n remembrances planned all over.
.
My Dad was in the Army for a few years prior to the Korean conflict, after college n before getting married. A classmates brother was listed MIA in 'Nam. I'll never forget the effect it had on him. I've known many veterans who served overseas, n made it back to tell the tales, including one hometown girl I grew up n hung out with.
.
Veterans deserve honoring, n have impacted all our lives. I don't get free time to celebrate veterans on the holiday this year. Again, I forego festivities in order to work. My post is the extent of my observance ability.
.
In honor of the service given by all veterans in all wars so that our modern day society has remained free after so many threats.
I salute you!
Thanks
.
Image altered by SnaggleTooth
.

9 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Lovely tribute. As well as saluting our veterans we need to remind folks to salute our flag. It is amazing how many parades have people who fail to salute or even notice the flag as it passes.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I salute them, too, Snaggle. A lovely post.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Wonderful tribute, Snaggle. I thank them all, too.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger desk49 said...

Thank you Snaggle. A pat on the back now and then helps.

I hate to see the ones getting flags.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Snaggle. You are AWESOME!!

Where would we be without those who serve and protect?

And about your classmate's missing brother, that must be a forever heartbreak.

xoxo

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Cloudia said...

Salute!





Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie,thanks- Good point! I think it's horrible how few young folks have learned the respect we were raised with.

Lynn, Thanks for joining the salute!

Talon, Thanks, I think your post for Remembrance Day was wonderful.

Ellis, Your welcome! Those big flags certainly mean alot! Quite a sacrifice to make-

JanF, thanks. I'd hate to think of the unenlightened lives we'd be living had they not been successfeul-
Let's Just say that the not knowing is the worst thing.

Cloudia, Thanks for joining the salute! Aloha!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

this is a reel nise post snaggil. i lieks how yoo alweys rememering to thanks peoples and how you always thinking of others. that shows you are a good harted persin.

wit loves,

me

Bb

ox

and gues wot? i iz goeing for a hot choklit wit my kelly and maybee some frensh fries.

ox again.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

BB, Tanx for stopping in! I Always tanx the important folks. I don't take what I got 4 granted, cus I'm not too spoilt...
Enjoy those goodies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home