Wednesday, October 13, 2010

At Last

Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 12 2010






.
(Yes Day Off wasn't raining this pm! This is the M-cove this evening)



.




Finally the Chilean miners are being rescued one by one- Seems miraculous! The National news broadcasted the first two rescues off the 33 who've been trapped over 60 days in a mine. I must admit, I get emotional watching. It's the first time ever of this type of rescue, compared by one live reporter (Bill Weir) to the rescue of the Apollo 13 crew.
.
This anticipation n wonder at seeing a survivor emerge against such slim odds, actually reminds me of the "Baby Jessica McClure " coverage in June 1987, which I then witnessed via tv. A little two-year-old toddler who fell down an abandoned well shaft was wedged in a nine-inch pipe for days. A crowd of helpers n heavy equiptment soon assembled, camped out, n after several days finally pulled little Jessica out, dirty, but without serious injuries. I remember that elated feeling seeing her emerge alive. How it felt to know about the many who volunteered n committed to do the task. n did not give up until it was done.
.
Seems not unlike this instance of so many nations rallying to work together to help the miners n their families far away in Chile in the middle of the desert. The isolated spot has recently become a camp village in the limelight of the rescue effort. I bet the emerging rescued are in awe of the activity n assembled crowd out there for them.
.
To me, this rescue is an important historic event we should have access to witness as long as the operation takes. I would like to watch each miner emerge from the steel tube. I find however, that the USA major public network news (nbc, cbs, abc, fox) have decided to stop broadcasting the rescue live after the first two. I only have basic cable programing, (cnn n msnbc are now expanded pay service), n the only station I can find continuing live coverage on the event is the Spanish channel! I just watched the third man come up, n barely understood the reporter. I know very little Spanish, (better than none?).
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Oct 12 2010
.
.
.
I kinda feel gypped...
.
(Nothing to do with this altered image, really- which I like- except- This doesn't have the same info as the original, does it?)

11 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger Wusel's... said...

What I really like about is that the horizon is in the middle.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Wusel's... said...

i meant about it...I need my glasses...
And I like the colors of the second. Hope you have a nice week.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Joe, Thankyou. I do like the reflection, n both of these together. I wonder if German tv is covering the Chilean event today. Thanks

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Opaque said...

Same here... love the horizon in the middle...

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Good for you
Good for the miners
Good for the world
Bad for the networks.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger TALON said...

A truly amazing rescue! I can only imagine how relieved those men must feel!

Love both images - the reflection is gorgeous!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

the original is breathtaking. in fact it made me sigh.

we so need some rain, see I have to complain it's been beautiful weather. we are actually having an autumn only it is has not rained at my house for over 30 days and everything is drying up.

xxxooo

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

That photo is gorgeous - love the reflection off the water. And what a relief it was to hear that the miners are getting out.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Bubba said...

I'd gladly send you most of the rain we're expecting for the next month or so, only because I like my leaves dry and crunchy underfoot and don't want them all blowing off the trees too soon, where I'll be stuck raking them up.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I couldn't stop watching last night as the first miners came up. I am tired today for going to bed so late.

And more miners still waiting, 10 to go maybe.

Just an awesome awesome rescue!

Keeping fingers crossed.

xoxo

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Opaque, Thanks, I like the idea it could be a cross-section representing uderground n above ground.

Ellis, A very good thing indeed! Wish I could see it all in English! If it were in the US, I bet it's be on!

Talon, I'm greatful it has turned out positive this time!
Thankyou- The reflection makes the shot, n has more details!

Paige, Awww- you even sighed? Must be a keeper...
Sorry to hear it's so dry down there! I'm sure you don't want our incoming NorEaster tho! Have you tried a rain Dance yet?

Lynn, Thanks- I do like that reflection detail too! Isin't it wonderful they are saved instead of given up on?

Eric, Alot of our leaves are dropping brown this year, n the colors have been muted so far- i'm ready to stop cleaning out the storm drain next to the woods anytime now... N here comes a norEaster for Friday!

JanF, But a good-tired, I'm sure! I was up anyhow- n was bummed i couldn't see it all in English!
I just watched the last miner guy- the supervisor come up in Spanish... 9pm n they're all done- all ok n safe! very awesome!

Note: Second round of replies- Blogger ate the first time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home