Friday, November 06, 2009

Only Three

Mishief in May by SnaggleTooth 2009
.
.
.
A city in my state, Dudley MA, has a Three Cat Limit Law. Anyone with more than three must apply for a kennel license, n if the home isin't zoned in the right area for it, license will be denied. They are fining folks $100 dollars per day if they have more than three felines. The woman in this article owes $1700 so far!
She's trying to sell the house n move, because she won't put down her rescued friends.
.
I know several folks who'd be very distressed at being confronted with that situation. I wonder what happens if a cat has kittens?
.
Currently, I only have one cat, Mischief. But when I aquired her abandoned mother with three, unweaned, female kittens, I already had two cats. It took time to find some of them homes. Still, I ended up with four cats for a while, until old age n illness thinned down the number over the years.
.
In our town you have to own a certain amount of acreage to have large livestock such as horses, cattle, sheep, n goats. Most yards n cottages here are small. Alot of local folks have chickens, which wake up every one crowing at all hours, or dogs outside that bark when owners aren't there.
.
Felines are small, quiet, easy to fit in small homes, n usually an easy to care for animal. When is it too much for the government to decide what pets you should allow in your home that you pay for?
.
Why can't such a law be sensibly based on square footage of living space available? It seems this law may've been invented to keep that "Cat Lady" from inhabiting the neighborhood. Many folks have been unapproving of homes full of cats, even tho they've been created due to a proliferation of unwanted animals of irresponsible owners tossing them aside, n a desire of someone taking responsibility to help them.
.
Some folks are capable of caring for more animals, others aren't. Some can tolerate it, others can't. Why is it only an enforced punishment when the neighbors complain? What cat-haters invented this one?
.
This type of constraint rule really gets my kitty dander up!

13 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I think a cat hater did write that law. Mischief looks cute in that pic. :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

once again, the intent of Govt to make a "better" life for all Impinges and intrudes on the pursuit of happiness of some. a better rule is that any and all animals that you have be cared for and not a nuisance to the neighborhood.

oh I fixed my video, do come back when you can

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

wow.. and I've been to Dudley for work stuff. That is all sorts of crazy and ridiculous on all sorts of levels. makes one wonder exactly how many cats she has.. poor woman. maybe there should be a law such as: "no person shall own more cats that can fit into 1 litterbox all at one time"... I'd like to see the town try and enforce that law. hahaha. and what if all your cats are indoor.. I'd fight it if I were her.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

in my town you can have anything well all except a Pig and I am talking in the city proper not just the outskirts.
Very glad I don't live next door to the folks that have the donkey that braes (sp?) all night, like some people I know.

sounds like that town needs to find some monies or maybe someone that lives near by is trying to sell their house and has had a problem with cats running around called and complained.

bad cat haters

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger TALON said...

What a great pic of Mischief! I love how perfectly she's balancing!

We have by-laws here restricting both dog and cat ownership. I think it should be based on the ability of an owner to responsibly take care of their pets (annual vaccinations, adequate space, humane conditions etc.). There have been many incidents of neglect of animals, but I haven't seen that mistreatment necessarily relates to the number of animals a person owns.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

I think there should be a limit on how many animals you're allowed to have of course with the exception of kittens-pups being born. It's not like your gonna keep a litter of kittens.

I believe in Toronto no person can keep more than six of any combination of dogs, cats, ferrets and rabbits at any given time in their home.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Wow. That law doesn't seem fair :(

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, sure looks like it- Mis knows it too! Thanks, pic was taken May 31, btw.

David, what's annoying is different to different folks, tho. I think properly cared for n have enough space should be not punished. I'll be over to SugarLoaf Mtn soon.

MB, the article says The woman has 15 cats, for her to get rid of 12. I saw the story on the TV news first. It's a large home, most of the cats are inside. It's sad she has to move because of that.

Paige, Folks there are lucky- Folks with some Donkeys here live near that brook on many acres all the way on the west side of town- the complaint was about a cat going toilet in a garden, but it wasn't proven to be that woman's animal. She claims her cats were in. Some folks are mean-

Talon, Thanks, she's got alot of practice out on the deck, now that I don't let her downstairs much due to the neighbors always driving over the used to be safe lawn zone.
I was wondering what Canadian town laws were like on the subject.

RoseD, Thanks for your opinion, n explaining the Toronto limit. Of course, that would be within the city area, also a zoning issue.
I don't like those rules in regard to the smaller animals. Guess breeding for income would require permits n licenses.

Cookie, me either, thanks.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

Oh my, that's a horrid law, ridiculous and utterly misguided legislation. And cat-hating, too. I have four cats, very well-cared for and spoiled rotten, and believe me, I'd be moving out of that town.

Mischief is precious! :-D

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Your square footage idea might be one solution.

People should just use common sense and decency and be good to animals. But sadly some people are just nor as "evolved" as others. The caring ones should have as many animals as they can make comfortable and happy.

I love our cat so much, would love another but Jim thinks 3 fuzzy friends are enough for now.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ThommaLyn, I knew this issue would hit home to you. Large animals without space is one thing, but to get caught in that situation with fines- would do me in!

JanF, The law as it is, takes away freedom in your own home! People should figure out their own limit, tho some lack common sense, no animal folks lack love. I'd hate for someone to tell me to get rid of my cats! I'm a country girl at heart.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

i am a kountry bunny at hart and I liek cats, when i growes up i mite gets 4 or 5 to plae wit me. and mebbe a gerbill if he dont eets me.

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

BB, Gerbils are alotta fun until they get out of the cage n the cats eat them....
I used to have hamsters, n some went missing n never found. I think big Ol' Midnite ate them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home