Friday, December 12, 2008

Critters

photo of Pika Chu by SnaggleTooth 2008


A Pika Chu I made for last weeks festivities ended up with many strangely placed tails with the assistance from tiny hands.
.
.
.

Playing 'Possum
.
December 4 2008
I only had two barrels until I went n got a new one today. The tall one was full. There's a hole in the lid of the cheaper, smaller one, where a critter chewed thru it to get out the stale goodies I'd tossed a few months back. I usually don't put food garbage in that one, but I didn't make the dump last week, so did reluctantly put one bag in it, thinking I might have to pick up stuff off the lawn again.
.
I went to put more in that barrel the other day in the waning daylight before work. I noticed the hole was bigger, about five inches wide now. When I lifted the lid I was caught by surprize to find a curled up oppossum looking up at me. I had to go to work quick, n didn't have time to play around.
.
"Okay," I told him, "I'll leave you alone today." I put the lid back down, went off to work so I wouldn't be late.
.
Gotta hand it to the critter, he found a perfect den. Warm against the house, out of the wind n rain, away from dogs reach. He had a soft bed on the garbage bag, through which to dig for stale goodies for snack time. I don't think these critters are as dumb as I previously believed. They are surviving New England winters, n are supposed to be southerners. Those who don't adapt, don't live, Professor Darwin.
.
.
December 6 2008
I want to take the trash to the dump. It's Freakin' Frio n I don't want to kick the critter out into the cold with nowhere to go- because that's mean. I like animals too much. A co-worker thinks Possum should be erradicated n exterminated, because it's not a sanitary creature, never mind it has sharp teeth. But ya know, Possums are cowards, n Critter believes now if he just sits still there, I'll leave him be, n put the warm cover back again.
.
Couldn't think of another good pic subject on my errand run. So Digi-Cam in hand in the "on" position, I wonder if Possum is still in the can...

Photo by SnaggleTooth Dec 6 2008


Bright Light, bright light! Oh- one more shot, from too close, about two foot range with the flash, but the pics came out. Critter sat still, dazed. "Maybe if I play Possum, that large creature won't see me n put the cover back... yep, works every time!"
.
I went to the store n bought another garbage can, so I'd have a place to put the next bag of food trash. A trip to the dump will wait.
.
.
December 11 2008
I'd thought when it gets warmer out would be a good time to oust the critter from his cozy spot to go find a new one. The weather has warmed up, but it hasn't stopped raining in days.
.
I finally made a trip to the refuse disposal station. Sans the cheap plastic barrel with the hole in the cover! I couldn't do it yet- We're getting a huge storm all the way from Texas to New England dropping inches of rain with flood warnings issued here. Some parts of the south got snow n tornadoes. It's fairly nasty out there.
.
Some people dislike possums because they look like large rats, n remind them of rodents. Altho they do seem to reproduce profusely, they are marsupials with pouches, who climb trees n have very poor eyesight. I happen to have had pet mice in my teens, n pet hamsters for my children. I'm pretty animal savy. The proper time for the barrel cleaning is key.
.
Not today, Possum. I'll play a little longer-

6 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Joy Leftow said...

I'd leave him there too. Poor thing is cold and probably a young one too who lost his mom. You're very kind hearted. Thank you for having love for earth's creatures.

I do cat rescue in the city and pick up cats people get sick of & throw out. I have spent thousands on this endeavor.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

it could be worse.. it could be a skunk living in there!!

there are towns out here with "state of emergency", and only 1 road availble to residents. 1 of teh 2 state roads that cut through the town. The hill towns got clobbered by the storm, we got sleet and rain mostly- fairing not to bad, I suppose seeing as how it's not even officially winter yet. haha

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I forgot they are marsupials. You are nice. And shall reap treasures in heaven!

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Joy, Most of my cats have been found abandoned. Mischief here is the last of the litter of kittens taken home instead of to the shelter in '99. They make very devoted friends. Bless you for your investment in their survival.

MB, I've talked to the skunk right near the can spot several times- Yes, it could be smellier!
You guys out west really got nailed with the ice- I heard Rt 2 was closed with fallen trees- Hope you got to stay home from the job n avoid the debris- The news pics were crazy with power out n crap in the road!
Glad you did ok there- Here was just windy with rain.

JanF, I may be too nice- Critter just wants to hibernate n the can's no good without a cover, anyway!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Buddy T. Doxie said...

MB HOPE YOUR SNOW MELTS A LITTLE>>>
Ev hope you are feeling better,oh thay let me back in to my page so I can post..
Well as a Doxie we don't get a long with Possoms am glad you are letting the little critter stay..
"Pal" has a nut colector in the adic, I hear him running around..OK I am sending you Happy paw's & a new year is comming...
From:
me,Lucy,Rocko & my hooman "Pal"

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Buddy, I had snow to clean off the truck on the way home today. Driving wasn't too bad tho- Those squirrels upstairs can drive ya nuts with the racket! At least Possum is quiet- n out of my way.
I'm still too sickly to be good company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home