Friday, June 06, 2008

Twist

2008 is becoming a banner year for storms n twisters. When I googled tornadoes of '08 n found this wikipedia site devoted to listing them, I was astonished to read that over 1300 have already been reported (altho not all confirmed) this year in the US. We are again today under another "current severe weather outbreak." in the middle of the country.

I feel fortunate that I'm in a zone where twisters seldom appear. The closest I've gotten to one here is the water spout I saw in Cape Cod Bay in August 1997. I noticed it from the car window on the way to work that day. Seeing that stuff, even in the distance feels very unsettling. Really, who wants to be away from home n separated from the family members with that possibility looming?

I live in a zone with very few storm cellars. Most homes here have only slabs or crawl spaces, due to the low to the water-table flooding issues. Most of our weather issues have to do with hurricanes heading up the Eastern US coast. Primarily the strong winds n storm tidal surges cause the most problems. We get plenty of warning in advance to prepare for them.

The sudden, random formation of twisters, however, must be very stressful to deal with, especially knowing of the devastation already inflicted upon so many this year by them.
Good luck to those under the storm watch today-

Thought I'd share that site with who ever might want to see the list-

4 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I remember the spout of '97, as I was up at the Cape celebrating my 40th. Yikes! Was that actually 11years ago?

We've had our share of twisters, tornados, and micro-bursts (all really the same depending on the wind speed behind the charging train).... and it's caused a great deal of damage. Let's just say that it's a really good year for the tree & roofing companies. I have two homes here and one has been relatively untouched, while the other suffered a displaced tree at the front door... causing roof, gutter and cornace damage. Good news is that insurance estimated for all the fixes and the deductable is worth all the new repairs. Woohoo for a new roof, as it was on it's last leg anyway, and would have had to have been replaced within the next few years. Now we can go another 25, barring there are no more tornados that pop up.

I can't remember a time since I've been here that we've had so many blow through in one year.... and one even damaging buildings downtown. But then we also got the remnants of all the Florida hurricanes that came through a couple of years ago.... and that was a shocker as we never had any before. Makes me think more that Al Gore is on to something......

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, I actually looked this url up in response to your previous comment on "Mulch Mountain", because I'd not heard of a recent Georgia twister.
There's even one listed for Casper WY in Skye's neck of the woods this year.

Without a doubt it has been one of the busiest years for tornadoes in the USA.

Now CA is having a water shortage also! I don't have to be further convinced of the changes affecting us all- Pretty scary stuff!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger flleenie said...

the link in this post to current weather actually connects to current events...

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Fleen, the first link which says "wikipedia site" links to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornadoes_of_2008
the second is current events.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home