Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Heat is... Too Hot!

Tues, Aug 01

Eccessive Heat Warning has been issued for most of the state (and my apartment)! Of course the Cape isin't in that zone, because sea breezes keep it a few degrees cooler here. still, we're talkin between 90 - 100 F with high humidity levels. The heat index is over 105 (what it feels like) The last Boston High record for this date was 102 F in '75.
...
Here comes the hottest weather in these parts for years forecast for Tuesday n Wedsnesday. Boston has issued an official city emergency in advance. The largest problem, would of course be the power going out for all the AC spoiled people.
If the power (fan) goes out n I get desparate, I can always go for a ride in the truck AC, if I buy more fuel this week, that is.
...
One plan is to call a friend n see if I can talk 'em into going to the beach at the end of the cove with me. All my friends are taller, so can scout for nasty fishy-critters or call for help on a cell phone if I need help suddenly. Of course, there's always the hose over the head if there's no one home, but that isin't as much fun. The swimming plan's only good if I wake up in time for high-tide. Low tide means knee-high wading n crab-pinched toes. Not quite so refreshing.
...
I'm also assuming I won't melt walking around...
...
Where I work is a very hot place to be in, even though they did fix the AC after the last 90 degree hottest day, the products throw alot of heat n steam, n the dress code is long-pants required n no tank-tops, (cause it's not safe). I actually melted soles off a pair of shoes there already on that 90 degree hottest day... So I'm glad that I'm off for this day cause I'm sure it'll be hotter there than here!
...
Wedsnesday I have to wear all those heavy n hot clothes back to the workplace as the heat maxes out for me in my zone here.
...
Last night (Mon) wasn't too hot in here, so I cooked some pasta for a cold salad to eat this week. Cooking will be out of the equation until the air mass moves off-shore outa here... I'm sure that gettin home Weds nite after my upstairs apartment had been locked up all day collectin heat, it'll already be cookin in here, n hopefully doesn't roast the cats too badly. A couple of (inaccessable from outside) windows will be left open n I'll leave the fans on high for them, but this place is always hot when I get back, even at 3 am.
...
It's now Tuesday at 5:43 pm, n the Temp on the TV news corner says 89 F degrees. Springfield out in Western MA (near MB's place) is gonna be fryin eggs outside by tomorrow, they average 15 degrees hotter than here...
...
Don't Melt folkz!

3 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

apparantly when it's 120 degrees out you really can cook eggs on teh side walk.

usually our trick for keeping hte house kool without a/c is to open teh windows at night and put the fan in the window at full blast all night to pull in all the cool air, and then you chut all the windows and pull the curtains for the day and it often stays cool.. but no tin this weather.. the being 80 degrees at 8 pm is not normal, and not good at all.. so i wish you luck keeping cool! drink plenty of water

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

We are a little more used to the weather being hot here, but not quite this hot. We've had some night thunderstorms burst loose, but not producing any rain for my little hamlet. I still have to sneak around watering.. shhhhhh!

I hope you are staying cool as possible!

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Hyannis broke a record at 95 on the noon news today(Weds), n The Cape ended up much hotter than predicted. Tonight it's way muggier outside than in, so no air-pulling-in tonight. I ended up going over 4 hours with no time for agua at work- too much! Seem to be ok, tho-

Ellen, I heard Atlanta's breakin records, n some people have died from the heat (n in Philly, near Neo's too)
I broke out two additional ancient oscillating fans from storage yesterday, cleaned 'em, n supplemented the breezes a bit in here, helps with the humidity factor. Tonight is very hot still, tho- n I did make ice-cubes, gonna get me more now!

What out-door water?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home