Friday, June 05, 2009

ESR 500

Photo by SnaggleTooth June 2009
.
.
.
Sunrise today was clued in only by brighter cloud cover with showers before I went to sleep. I got up late afternoon on Day Off, n finally the skies broke with cloud-hazy sunlight somewhat before errand time.
.
My new deck water meter indicates there was about 3/8 inches of rain. While out there with Mischief a few minutes, I searched all the un-redone flower pots for evidence of perenials n self-seeders. The only prolific plants out here so far are the moss, Boston Ferns, n the Cockscomb which seem to've magically taken over many containers.
.
I haven't done much with deck plants yet, because the weather never seems to find the soil dry enough to work with when I've had time. Most of my indoor seedlings have died off awaiting transplantation because of all this rain. They needed more sunlight. Of course, more time off without exhaustion would certainly help. I keep re-seeding the little partitioned squares in the window.
.
Having the daylight until after 8 pm is great, because I can sleep n still get a few hours of outdoor-light-needed stuff done. Lately tho, I'm just not feeling motovated to do the lawn n some other heavy stuff. It's all I can do to get the work clothes laundry caught up. There's still too much pollen outside, slowing me down.
.
I managed to get a few pics as the sun again went barely visible behind clouds again. You'll be seeing some more of them later. Because it was peak high tide, I visited the coves at both left n right ends of my street. Near the boat ramp, tons of little, orange-sided fish were chasing thru the shallows creating churning ripples, but my cam couldn't get them clearly- so small, too fast.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth June 2009
The huge, seaweedy Horseshoe crabs didn't get away quick enough once they saw me tho- This is a flash shot, which came out better than the second dark try. "It's you n me against the waterworld, babe..."
.
Why do these sea critters come so close to the high-tide water's edge which will soon recede again? If someone wanted to catch them, it'd be easy. Both the Orange-sided minnows n the large Horseshoe crabs pick the edges to re-seed again, every year, same as before. I hope they always re-appear n regenerate.
.
Locally the boats n people are multiplying too...

8 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

hahaha.. you caught them horsecrabs in the act!! Mating season at the beach was always funny.. we used to take them things out of the water and put them in the sand.. they'd wander around aimlessly.. then we'd make a path in the sand with our fingers or a stick, and twist it all around and they'd follow it.. I always made mine end back in the water... I"m not that mean, but I'm sure they had better plans in mind during this peak time of year.. the little baby crabs were all so cute in their little white shells..

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I didn't realize the species spent so much time entertaining you in your youth! They must feel so heavy out of the water. I have a shell out front in the shell garden from last year. Glad to amuse you n bring back the memories.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

oh yeah.. hermit crabs too! not those damn spider crabs.. those things scared the crap out of me!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Wow, a half-century of blog posts, eh. Congrats, Ms Prolifica. That'll take me another 4 years at my rate.

And who'd-a thunk Boston ferns would grow in the not-too-far-from-Boston area. They actually survive the winter and come back, if outside?

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

Oh, hehe -- love the picture of the horseshoe crabs! :-D And I'm sorry to hear the pollen count is making you feel icky. I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, My Hermit crab pics didn't come out well... Spidercrabs are pretty intimidating, tho never heard of anyone getting pinched by one.

JanF, That would be .5k posts on my main blog- Blogger tells us how many we have. I've been here 4 years already!
The Bos-Ferns like the low sun n moisture in this yard. They do winter well. So many other plants never come back after the containers thoroughly freeze. In the yard they're doing well too. They're spreading like crazy-

ThommaLyn, thanks, I think it's a cool pic- Had to shower off pollen tonight again, on Benedryl when not driving, n rinse Little Truck with hose daily. At least most of the trees here are done...

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

congrats on 500
and on balancing your days and nights and getting some deck time in with the kitty

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, Thanks, 500 is a first for me. Balance is tough when you consider I'm always cutting down sleep hours...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home