Thursday, May 14, 2009

All are Both

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2009

Taken out the kitchen window this evening, you can see the maples filling out. The oaks are pollinating profusely, in pre-leaf mode. The wind's been gusty, n I snapped this in the only two minutes of sun-peeking through the cloud cover of the day I witnessed.
I'm lucky to've made it thru errand-run dry, judging by the weather radar showing drenching rains hit everywhere else.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2009

.
This small, old dingy may look like hell, but is holding alot of water, indicating it's sea-worthiness. Despite it's "who-would-ever-steal-this" appearance, the boat's function is perfect.
.
"All days are good n bad, depending on the angle you look from."
-Quote SnaggleTooth, previous comments section
.
Today has been both, high to low. It's my worst allergy time of the year, but my symptoms not as severe as years past. I had time to sleep later, altho strange dreams. There were no urgent "must-do" time-eaters, but I did some extra laundry. The rain missed my village, but much greyness again. I didn't get to visit anyone, tho I spoke with a few on the phone.
.
I've been quite moody lately. Less than a week ago I'd heard of an older family member's dire illness. I'd just dreamt of walking past her huge garden. I've always wanted one like it, with enough room n many rows for corn, beans, n sunflowers. Soon after waking, I got a call that She's gone already, today-
.
I have much empathy for the grown children, as I re-live what happened when I lost my parents to illness. I go from ignoring that happened today with distractions, to not being able to when talking about it to folks. I even chose not to tell some folks bumped into at errand time, because it's easier not to. I almost didn't post, either...
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2009My yard has the only purple Lillies of the Valley I know of. The color may be a result of all the ancient, buried seashells adding minerals to the soil. It's also possible the sea captain who lived here a century ago, n brought the rare trees (Eclesiastical, Huckleberry, n cut-down Black Birch) in the yard, also brought the plants from far away. The little bells are rooted around the foundation. No matter how many times the landlord weed-whacks them down, every spring before those anti-garden folks arrive, the special purple blooms come back.
.
Too bad special people we lose can't come back too...

10 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

pics - esp the maples. Spring is good.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I'm sorry about your loss. Isn't it something that you dreamt of her garden just before you got the news of her passing...

The purple lily of the valley are beautiful and unique. They are one of my favorites and their fragrance is beautiful. You gotta love their tenacity.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I'm glad you did post and share your heart again with us.

She is in a different part of the garden now.

I am heading to the post ofice soon, will think of you along the way and no doubt often, as I always do.

xo

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Neo said...

"Too bad special people we lose can't come back too..."

They don't go far Snaggle, they are inside of us everyday waiting to be talked to; and listened to.

When we meet someone that alters our lifes path they become part of us, and us to them as well.

We are all one in that regard, and we are better and stronger for having yielded to their companionship.

*HUGS*

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, Thanks- TG for clariton

Talon, Thanks, I figure that was her message to let me know before they told me. I tend to get alot of unexpected dream visits.
Wondering if you ever saw any in your travels before. Two sets of pale purple bells are on the kitchen shelf today. I'm happy they are tough-

JanF, I struggled with the descision to tell about it or not- like my PTSD isin't already bad enough- ignoring new stresses is very bad for me, so I'm trying to deal with it. - The metaphor I inferred is her roots are in my foundation, where they can't die.
You're a great friend, glad I got clicked into your life.

Neo, thanks. I do often feel the presence of many passed on influences from my upbringing. The dear woman knew me from birth, n was there when each of my parents took a turn. It bothers me that I didn't get to see her recently. That list of put-off folks is too long! I feel "Hole-Hearted"

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Glad I "lured" you over to Funstertown too.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I think she came to you, too. I'm sorry you're feeling "hole-hearted" (which is a brilliant expression) and I hope that soon you'll feel whole hearted again. Yes, we don't see the people we should nearly often enough...

No, I've never seen the purple ones before - only ever the white. I have a few in the garden here and plan to put more in as my old garden had a huge patch and I adore the scent and beauty of the tiny bell-shaped blooms.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Janf, you've cheered me up so many times I can't count- thanks.

Talon, some don't believe that stuff, but I always have- as a recipient of many mystical mysteries. I got those words from the song by Red-Hot Chilli Peppers, btw.
They spread by root-runners n tranplant easily. Even my neighbors lillies ten feet away on the south side are white-

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

my heart is saddened by your sorrows may peace find you and fill your lungs with the sweet scent of the purple lillies that grow in your valley.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, thankyou for the wonderful sentiment in your wording. The bells are comforting. every time I hear "Lillies of the valley" I'm reminded of Sidney Potier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home