Thursday, October 16, 2008

Berry Good

Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 16 2008

Thought I'd get out during the overcast daylight n make a trip to the dump today, but I missed it by just a couple of minutes- darn! oh well, I'll try again tomorrow before work, n at least the truck's already loaded this time. That's half the battle (the other half is waking up early enough, n allowing enough travel time.)
.
So on my meander back toward the stores n home, I thought I'd check to see if the back-road to my old cranberry job had any turned color yet. there's a couple of low s-curves around bogs. Of course no cranberry bog is complete without a water supply pond to cover the berries when the temp frosts threaten to ruin the crop. These are some of the pics I scored.
.
Sunshine n blue sky would make for better pics, but at least it was a mild day without rain, n the fav spot I was thinking of payed off without going very far out of the way.
.
What excited me more was scoring a couple pounds of dry-picked cranberries a messy truck very recently dropped all along the side of the road right where the turn-out was where I was parked. Cranberry muffins n bread for free, here I come! They were all fresh, bouncy, n in good shape of the "Early Blacks" berry variety.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 16 2008
They're all washed n draining on the table now. So I got in some time walking, n bending exercises n in the process saved a few bux... n got something healthy to eat. I do really miss the handfuls of free berries I used to get working on the bogs.
.
I'm creative with my berry recipes, using orange juice for liquid, raisins for sweetener, n oatmeal n rice flour for filler. It'll be a nice change from work cast-offs which aren't very nutritional.
.
Last night at work the Corporate inspector dude finally showed up, n we did well for points. It's been stressful all week thinking he'd show up any day now. Get ready, get ready again, n again... Work hasn't let up on my hours at all yet.
.
Apparently, the more the economy plays naughty with folks well-being, the more they order our products... The revolving door hasn't stopped spitting folks out, n someone or three are always missing from the line-up.
.
Where did slow-season go? Now Halloween n the holidays are coming up to increase orders. I'm too pooped to ponder all I'll have to do. I bought more spinach too- looks like I better load up on high energy fuel. The mighty little native berry will really help!
.
Is your week going slow?

5 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I bet those will be the best-tasting cranberries ever.

I didn't even realize until I was about 12 that cranberries were sold in stores as we went boggin' on Miscou Island every Oct. My grandmother made her own rake out of a large dustpan and something off some farm machine - she was the Queen Scooper in all the land.

I'm curious - what product does your company make that people still order lots of during a naughty economy? Cookies? Alcohol?

Glad to hear the Inspector has come and gone, that must be a load off.

Wish I could stay at this computer all day but the reality of getting breakfasts, lunches and The Child to school with hopefully matching socks is saying "get going!" Until next time...

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks JanFun, another free-berry-loader- Right off the bog are the best by far!
I work for a national chain I can't mention here- we make many different dough based products supplied to the Cape n eastern MA. Cookies too-
looks like you need a quiet week!

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ah, ha, Dough - based products. My kinda stuff!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

I love love love fresh/raw cranberries, and I attribute that to my mom working the cranberry bogs when I was kid. I don't however like fish/seafood, and I attribute that to my neighbor who used to fish in the nearby river who once caught a bluefish that smelt the worst smell I have ever smelt... that and my mom being allergic to shellfish. The smell of shrimp makes me want to vomit. yuck. People always find the fact that I don't like seafood odd, seeing as I grew up in the same place as you. :P odd.

I have a really great cranberry scone recipe. using fresh cranberries and orange juice, and heavy cream- no eggs. Maybe I'll email it to you.

I also have a fantastic Cranberry and apple stuffing recipe that is super delicious. http://www.recipezaar.com/266615

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanFun, load up on those sugary carbs! (-but watch those calories)-

MB, Hmm, I'll be checking the email for that- but don't have heavy cream right now... thanks for the stuffing recipe url- all I need is a bird for it.
Ya, I've been eatin lotsa raw berries this week-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home