Thursday, December 19, 2013

Don't Sweat it

Image by SnaggleTooth Fall 2013

Recently Joey asked a question which had me thinking of sweaters. Those woolly, fuzzy, knit patterned pull-overs n carrticans some won't ever think of wintering without.

My Mother was guilty of owning tons of themed, picture sweaters n sweat shirts for every imaginable holiday. She often received them as gifts, n wore them at family dinner get-togethers with the grandkids. She owned so many cartooney Christmas symbols n patterned designs- n I wore so few...


Image by SnaggleTooth Fall 2013
I've never liked wearing sweaters. I used to think I was allergic to them, especially the wool ones, because most would make me itch like crazy. Turns out I'm not allergic to wool, but to the dust mites, n have sensitive skin easily irritated by the knit weave patterns moving across it. I could probably wear one now after it's properly washed n before it's reloaded with more mites.

My mother thought I should wear more sweaters, n bought me one every year for Xmas, no return allowed. I always preferred flannel shirts n zip-sweatshirts. The only sweater-like thing she got me that was worn on a regular basis as a young adult, was really a fuzzy-smooth acrylic top with brown n tan geometrics around the neck n sleeve.

Photo by SnaggleTooth Fall 2013
Now-a-days to stay warm at home, I always wear layered cotton shirts, n use flannel or similar. large, pocketed button-up shirts for over-layers. At work I wear clothes which get ruined every day, usually uniform pants n layered dark-colored t's to peel off afterward.

Every year at this time, I always remember my Mother wearing one of those bright, holiday sweaters - Like the one with crossed candy canes n gingerbread cookie men on it.


The holiday is a week off, n I'm still getting things together. I wanted to get all the wrapping done, but my paper supply ran out! One more day left to do it all, then have to work until Xmas Eve. I'm betting the stores will be too crazy to get any shopping done that day anyhow... Happy loose -end tying!    
(pic is a leftover of the last fall cove sunset I watched at the bridge)

13 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I don't do sweaters period. On the rare occasion that I did receive one as a gift, it stayed in my closet unworn and eventually unclean. The closet I'll ever come to wearing a sweater is a hoody. I own three: a heavy fleece, a medium heavy which I wear with a jean jacket and a light hoody that I wear at work when it gets too cold.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I have so much built in insulation I could wear summer clothes all year round. No sweaters for me and coats are only a necessity when I feed the critters in the snow or ice. Otherwise I'm out and about practically sleeveless. I carry sweaters so people won't ask me where my wrap of some kind is and that can be a burden in itself.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

That cove shot is gorgeous!

I don't wear sweaters much either - although I do have a long cardigan with a cable knit pattern that I have worn this year some. It's been cold for the south. :) LOVE hoodies.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I avoid sweaters...I get too hot. But I always thought the theme-sweaters were adorable. :) My Mom owned lots of cardigans...never had any of those Christmas sweaters though. I, like you Snaggle, like to layer and cotton is my fabric of choice.

Good luck with the finishing touches on your wrapping!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

Keep safe and do not worry if it all does not get done. The world will not end and you family and friends will still love you! i like sweaters, but tend to like on the very high style one that hide my thick waste.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, I really hated my gift always being something I didn't want- n had to keep. Glad another New Englander just says no to sweaters too!

Gran Annie, we just had sub 20's here for 9 days- now a 40's F Heat Wave! So you're one of the hardy don't need one- There are still some folks here in shorts... bbbrrrhhh! I try to be careful not to get sick, but empty trash without a coat. Try to wear ear bands because I get nasty ear-aches in the cold tho. Up North here it's colder too-

Lynn, Thanks, the colors are rare. Sweaters are getting voted down so far here! I spent years in grey or navy hoodies. Still use them for jackets sometimes, or a layer under a coat. I have a need for pockets.

Talon, wish I'd been able to save one of those Mom sweaters- but it wasn't on my mind then as now- It's how I remember her. That's how you spell cardigan! woops I'll edit- Still not all wrapped up!

Tabor, You should've seen my dashing today! Still need to do some wrapping, over halfway done tho- n no more non-work days to do things, so sleep will suffer all week. My parents had some really good ones too, I remember. I think the cardigans n afghans were always classier than the Persian.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger desk49 said...

Tho light and dark does dance around
By moon or glistening sun
With hearts of fear souls beware
The sessions almost done
The gifts we buy to catch their eye
Through all the stores we run
To you I say as I smile your way
Merry Christmas to everyone

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis! Thank you for your holiday rhyme visit! excellent! I'm running thru less stores this week-
Merry Christmas to you

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger TALON said...

Dropping in to wish you a beautiful Christmas, Snaggle! Hope Santa spoils you!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, Thank you n an enjoyable Christmas to you. I'm planning on resting n eating alot.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I rarely, it ever wear a jumper of any kind. They make me itch too. Like you I prefer hoodies.

Now my 19 year old daughter adores them, and has loads, and would buy them non stop! :D

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Oh and thank you for the shout out!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, took me so long to post that sweater answer- but the holiday always brings back sweater memories of my mother- At least you don't get one you hate each year!
Late is always better than never!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home