Monday, September 05, 2011

18th Century

Photo by SnaggleTooth Aug 2011

Being a Night Owl was tough during the long-term power outage this past week. Luckily I'm the prepared sort, having been a Girl Scout Of America for 10 years growing up. Also, I'd never realized how handy it would work out for improvised lighting because I procrastinate packing away some holiday decorating trinkets.



A glass snowman with a glowing sparkle-light n lantern which ran on 3-AA batts was my Livingroom navigation light.
In the Bathroom a lithium cell powered, plastic, fake, flickering Ghost candle-cup helped me out. To counter-act the ghost, while needing more light, there was an Angel, stained glass votive stand with some tea-lights in it. A few years ago at a clearance sale at the pharmacy, I'd bought a bag of 50 unscented tea-lights for about one dollar! I finally made a decent dent in that bag.


On the kitchen table I went through about 5 of them. They last longer when blown out to re-harden after lighting a new one from it, to save on matches. When needing more light I supplimented with a regular candle for short periods, careful not to use it up. I found a 30 year-old, small Santa candle still in the junk drawer too! How do you increase candlepower without additional candles? Easy, put it infront of portable mirrors to multiply illumination power.

Photo by SnaggleTooth Aug 2011A co-worker recently gave me a car-battery booster because the tire-inflator was broken. I made sure it charged up the day before the storm, n used the AC outlet on it to re-charge my cell phone several times, because the house phone was out, n my cell runs out of juice fast when in constant use. It could've also been used for the lamp, or TV, but I didn't know how long it would need to last for the phone safety factor. The elec Co's estimate for returning juice was Saturday, so I felt fortunate I didn't have to wait that long after-all.


Days before the predicted storm I'd put the freezer-pak collection in the freezer. All week I'd worked at eating the good stuff out of there, so the ice-cream wouldn't become a casualty n be wasted. Then about 6 hours after power was out, I put a frozen pak next to the milk in the fridge, n repeated at intervals. I also had back-up boxed milk on the shelf, n canned condensed milk, which don't need refrigeration.


I used the gas stove downstairs to heat water, n hard boiled the eggs so they wouldn't go bad. While I was down stairs I ended up bailing water from the defrosted freezer, n big hunks of frost broke off it, which I then put in zip bags n used as freezer paks in my frig. Doing this helped save my tangerines, lettuce, n unopenned cheeze too.


I stretched the use of the hot kettle water by mixing it with some cold in a basin to wash, n made tea in thermos travel mags several at a time to last all day.


Sunday, day of the storm I didn't have to work, but on Monday the power was back on there, so I did. Power was still out at home. Washing up in the dark after the sweaty job was tough, using a bucket of warm water made with kettle water n wash-clothes. It was really tough getting my hair done too.


Image by SnaggleTooth Aug 2011 If I had to do things this way all the time, little out of the necessary would ever get done. I felt like I was living in the 18th century- but they didn't have glowing, battery powered snowmen then...

8 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Glad you survived okay.

Sorry I haven't been around. The feeds for all the blogs that I follow have been on the fritz so that since last Thursday they haven't been updating properly.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Suddenly I am so thankful for my Craftsman LED light hat that projects a strong beam forward and two small reading lights downward. I'm ready for a power outage.

You are truly an 18th century champion and made good preparation. Just glad you were safe.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I'm glad power is back on for you, Snaggle. You found some truly innovative ways to bring light and cell phone charging.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

You were smarter than I. I lost all my food because we had to take off up state and were gone for two days. When I got back everything was gone or not safe.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

i am so glad you came through it ok, we are having simple rain today and it is taking away my Sunday joy, but not for long

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, Thanks, glad you're OK too. Being in CT was not picnic either! My nephew there got power back the same day as me. It's not just you? Blogging has been slow! It's ok

Gran Annie, That sounds like a great hat to have! N hands-free too... I should get one!
Too bad I didn't have a horse to ride around tho- Thanks

Lynn, Thanks. It did all work out, n I could've been ok for longer, but yay- I didn't have too! This idea was penned onto paper in the dark during the outage!

Tabor, I still have to throw out some things, n this week I can't afford replacements. (rent week). I had to save watever I could n tea milk was priority! Staying home n being bored def made it made it easier!

David, Thanks, Good to hear from you again. I don't mind rain much, the hornets don't come out, it cools the air, n knocks down the pollen.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

a true girl scout indeed.

great you had frost to bag up. good trick.

and glad power came back on earlier than expected.

pretty candle light shot! so soft and mellow.

xo

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Once a girl Scout, always a ... Good at camping n fire safety too! N forced to think outside the box recently! Have I mentioned how I really, really missed the power? I like the dark shot cause you can't see the mess on the table I made with all those tea lights! Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home