Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Toady

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2011
Good thing I saved a few pics of non-rain stuff to look at, because Rain Toad is getting a work-out these days...

This year I had to touch up the paint on Rain Toad, due to many bright white scratch marks, n possible gnawing around the edges.

I'd remembered similar color-themed, permanent, Pantone Markers bought decades ago for a college art project, n went to search them out from the old shelves out back. Years ago I was taught to store markers on their side to last. N wow, can you believe the over 20-year-old markers still worked?! I was amazed n greatful they did, as it made the scratch covering quick n painless, plus, they weren't ready for the barrel yet after all- (They were 4 bux each).

I noticed more, similar toads this year at the store where I'd got it, but none with the water meter, which is my fave feature. The old tube also cracked on one side, so I used wateproof clear tape to patch it so I can still get a reading.

Which reminds me, that Mississippi River flooding is unbelievable! So many folks are put out of their homes. I heard they closed the river to barge traffic too. Yet another excuse to raise prices of goods. Also, Lake Champlain where I vacationed as a young child, n near where My mother grew up, is way past flood stage. I wonder if the Connecticut River is next...?

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2011I'd thought the Coral-eyed Phlox look a bit rough there, now it's totally beleaguered! At least it survived the winter in it's container. Now the Lilacs are blooming unseen in the fog. Today I didn't even get out in the daylight due to feeling under the weather. Between tooth-aches n a stomache-virus it's amazing I'm even blogging...

16 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

First!!

My creatively-induced insomnia does have it's plus. First at Snaggle's whooohoo. Just saw you commented at my place and had to get on over here asap! :)

Pantone Markers, thank you, dear lady!! I have a couple things to touch up too, was wondering what to use. 20 years -- amazing. I'm sure I have spices that old in my cupboards too. :)

Unseen lilacs in the fog -- you are SO lucky!!!

xoxox

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I hope you feel better, Snaggle. Love that toad!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger TALON said...

The toad is awesome and I'm glad you could touch him up. That's amazing about the markers. I hope you feel better quickly, Snaggle!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, wow, how unusual number 1! Those markers may be more expensive now- but all custom colors are available if you can find the three-digit color number. I had to throw out old spices, due to nasty little insects that got into everything. Now new ones are stored inside a covered, plastic container. Those flip-up covers don't close well after awhile- Can tell the lilacs are there, I can smell them.

Lynn, Thanks for your well-wishes. This is a bad one. Can't even tell Rain Toad has different colored warts now, huh?

Talon, Thanks, I do like Rain Toad alot. We had 1.5 inches of rain this week. I couldn't believe the previously openned markers still worked! Thanks- if the fever's still up I may not get back to work.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Yes it is more fun to watch the Toad then the weather channel to see how many Inches there was.
Get better and keep blogging more and more of us are quitting. Speak for myself John Hennery

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, Yes real life is really better, but here I go watching the film Avitar again... Thanks for well wishes. I have been slackin off a bit here. I think posting some of your comment rhymes is a good idea. You write so many!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I want a rain toad. We just have a boring old rain gauge on a post outside.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

I drove over the CT yesterday on my way home and took a mental note of how high the water is, yet, from what I gather it hasn't quite hit flood stage or maybe high flood stage yet.. I haven't heard any cautionary tales.. I did hear, however, that on Sunday is the lone dry day coming up! yay for me!

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, that is one awesome statue

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, So many folks don't even measure the rain! I don't even know the company's name... need more research. You know there's a Oriental superstition That froggy critters near outside doorways are very good luck...

MB, Thanks for the Connecticut River sight meter in MA state! Yes, I heard Sunday would NOT rain! It's half a week away tho- They better not change their forecast! I have to work, of course!

ArtsRichard, Rain Toad's been hanging out on the deck a few years now- Thanks

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Opaque said...

That toad... well, you see I have nothing against them... but ever since I have been here in OzLand, people just hate toads with a passion! The other day as I was driving down the hill with a couple of my Aussie friends, they made me steer to not miss killing them toads on the road... hmm...

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Opaque, that's terrible- tho I'm sure pals think it's funny. Are toads poisonous there? I'd refuse to kill anything-
I actually like them, n there are so few here these days- I can go years without seeing any! Sometimes at work I can catch one. I always let them go again.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I loved my pantone markers! Well anything pantone really, but boy was it expensive stuff!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, I spent about $30 just on camoflague colored markers for that Congo Rain Forest book project- Ah the good old days when I could justify the expense! Spent a fortune on the large, custom color sheets to cut up, too!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I swear that Toad looks like a bong!!!

*puff-puff-pass!* ;)

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, cough, cough! My eyes sting... lol I'm sure with a little work, it could be- but I don't smoke anything these days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home