Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What To Watch

Image by SnaggleTooth April 2010
.
.
I'm really gonna miss talking with a nice, enthusiastic, thirty-something man I get to see on errand run every few weeks. What I enjoy most about our conversations, is I feel regarded as intelligent by him. I do like hearing his voice n experiencing his personality. He's very open n engaging, n has often given me good info n sound advice.
.
Mostly we discuss films. (Have I mentioned often enough on ESR that I really enjoy Sci-Fi?) The man's business is closing down on the corporate level. In less than one months time, the doors of that local branch will shut for good.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth April 2010
.
Even tho I pass by those bright red machines near the market doors every trip in, I've managed to avoid the automated version of that errand. I haven't used the automated market check-out lines either. I spend too much free time without human contact since I've had my night job. So many errand experiences tend to be unpleasant when you can't even get any eye contact or acknowledgement from folks while in the process of being rushed thru lines.
.
I welcome seeing the same familiar faces who recognize me n will banter a bit as I go thru checkout. Once I perceive one of these register folks being rude enough to ignore my presence I tend to avoid their line forever more...
.
The business that's closing is the last hold-out of it's kind in town- the video store. No longer will I get that short browsing trip into my schedule. The experience of instant movie gratification plan for Day Off is over, unless I buy new dvds at the department store, or succumb to the redbox.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth April 2010
.
If I knew what I was ordering n what I might like, I could order or buy videos online but that requires reseach, postage, n alot of waiting. Time for that is not a luxury I have much of. My home movie choices for the early am hours are about to be severely limited until further notice. I'm bumming out on missing that familiar n kind face, n conversation in my future. Think I'll miss that person more than having new films to watch at 3 am.
.
Maybe he'll even miss seeing me... At least I got to say hi this week. He'll be heading back to college classes as plan B. n prob be on unemployment awhile.
.
The Video store goes the way of the dinosaur...
(n I'm unhappy about it!)

7 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

It is easy to get attached to shop people. I'm sorry that the video store is going away. I do Netflix - you don't pay postage, just a monthly fee.

I worked 3pm to 11pm for a few years and got to be quite a night owl - I'd stay up until 4am most of the time, watching movies and late night TV. It does feel isolating somewhat - I totally know what you mean.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, This person is very likeable- n always lifts my mood. I feel I'm losing a friend.
I avoid monthly payments, plus I'm having major computer problems. Getting to the Post Office before they close to pick up the mail is tough. Ordering films I don't know if I'll like seems a waste of time. I get home at 2am, up until dawn, working week-ends n holidays. Thanks for the empathy.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

We had the same thing happen here late last year.

When Blockbuster closed their store, it actually left my town (pop. about 25K) with no video store.

Always was an interesting experience browsing the store, even if I didn't pick anything up.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Sorry that you're losing the video store and the lovely conversations of someone who makes a trip worthwhile. The internet sure has had a huge impact on our day-to-day lives! It's changing so many media outlets it's incredible. I have friends who have lost newspaper jobs because of the downturn in sales.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, I know ours was open along time after most other places- but I don't want to be without it! Sorry it happened there to you-
I really liked getting good info directing me to what's new that I'll like n save me time. What do you do for movies now?

Talon, Thanks- All the jobs I could've applied for with my skills don't exist around here anymore! Newspapers, music, also all made tough by internet- this leaves folks without computers way out in the cold! I hope that man finds a way to turn his vast movie knowledge into a new direction, n is ok.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Whoops, I missed this one! Sorry.

You ARE intelligent, that's why taling with the guy makes you feel like that!!

Gee, I just noticed last week our local big Blockbuster is now an AT&T store!

Our library is great for videos, but even there you don't have to make human contact either, as you can self-check your materials.

It is weird tho, when familiar things disappear. Maybe you'll see your buddy at a great new business somewhere?

And now I guess instant computer movie downloads are catching on?

At our local grocery store if they don't smile and greet you, your stuff is free! (They ALWAYS smile and greet.)

Toodles!!

xo

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, I do like my personable attention n friendly folks to visit. This guy I can talk Sci-Fi shows n books with.
My schedule makes it tough to get to the library since they changed my days off n their hours are cut down.
I'm about to be watching the movies I have over n over...
Unfortunately in New England alot of store folks don't give you the time of day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home