Friday, July 17, 2009

Photo by SnaggleTooth June 2009

.
This pic of my Fav residents beach was taken the first week of June. I'm sure it's alot more crowded these days- but I haven't made it back there this month yet.
.
This week I've seen at least four honey bees! It's the most I've seen locally in a few years. I'm relieved they're not extinct here, n believe I know where the hive is nearby up in the trees across the road. I'm allergic to bee stings, but unless you directly threaten them, you have nothing to fear from honey bees. I wonder if the noticeable comeback is due to the abundant rain this season? I've been delaying cutting the clover on the lawn, plus I'll only do it just before sundown, so they're back in the hive.
.
Awhile Back in 2008, I did a post about "Where's the Buzz?" n how scary Honey-bee extinction is to contemplate when you consider plant pollination without them.
Until this week, I'd only noticed hornets n Bumble bees around the yard. Now, I'll be a bit more careful when checking out the nearby blossoms, so I don't disturb the nectar workers.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2009


Nope, I don't have pics of them. My cam stinks at close-ups anyway. I'm having a slow pic week here. As predicted, I'm slowng down on bloggy lately, tho I've been reading more.
.
Personally, off-line, I'm not slowing down at all.
Yikes, am I too sore this week- due to doubled work-orders n daily OT.
.
I don't wanna blog, (or bang on de drums all day,) I wanna go swimming! (n haven't yet-)
I'd been planning to write a post something like this: "Finally an 80 degree non-pouring Day off. Fav beach time- So off I went..."
But nope, the first muggy n warm summer-like day came with clouds n showers. Oh well, there's still a chance next Day Off will be warm n non-afternoon-rainy, while the tide is still halfway high. Then of course next week it will be less fun, low tide again. It's tougher to plunge under the waves in water two-feet deep between the sandbars without getting pinched by crabs that way...
.
Diving under large bouncy waves n going over my head is my prefered definition of swimming. I've been a great under-water swimmer since I was a year n a half old. Guess I scared the heck out of my mother a few times. I'm really good at treading water n floating also. Yep- It's a tragedy to live here n not get into the bubbly brine a minimum of once a year.
.
Most folks make a day long field trip out of a beach day. I never do that, n don't want to. I swim for 20 minutes to a half-hour, get out, dry-off about 15 minutes, then leave. I have to watch out for horsefly bites, which I also react to. It makes me swell up like a balloon, n won't stop without ice packs n benedryl. I have to be vigilant on the beach to avoid that problem.
.
Yes, I must be patient. The Honey Bees will not die out today. A hot Day Off when I have time to swim at high tide with no horsefly stings will happen. Just not today... (Rats!)

15 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Nice to live so close to the beach.

Funny thing about me, is that although I love the beach, use it in my writing, haven't actualy set foot on one since I was pre-teen (that's about 30+ years).

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

How lovely that you are around the ocean all the time. I hope you get your swim soon. And day off, too!

My nieces went to a college in western Florida that actually had beach shuttle buses all during the school year. Those girls stayed tanned all the time.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Looks humid from that picture...

I haven't been able to get out much either. There's a black bear warning for the trails, so bugs would be the least of my problems. Not quite sure how I'd react to being bitten by a bear.

Now show bloggy some luv!

Peace,

- Neo

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Good you're getting some stuff done off-line. Anything artsy?

That's one beautiful expanse of beach there. I hope you get your 80 degree day soon to bob in the waves. I'm not much of a beach lingerer either, but I do love staring at the waves and watching and hearing the gulls.

Happy Day today!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Hope you get the perfect swim day soon, Snaggle Tooth. Beautiful shots.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I'm glad you're getting time to read... it's lovely to curl up with a good book - though I know what you mean about the waves bouncing around you. Like you I prefer to get to the beach, swim, and leave. I can stay in the water for over an hour some days, but lying around doesn't thrill me.
Hope that summer day comes soon. Meanwhile, Hope you found something just as lovely to do with your day off.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, Wow- are you kidding? I can't feel alive without the ocean nearby- I've been this way since my early teens when I first came here.

Lynn, Altho it's near, I want to jump in more often! Of course it's work foiling my plans- I can tan at home, but it's the water I crave.
Last time I was in FL I was red as a lobster in less than 10 minutes!

Neo, It was so muggy n hot today I thought I'd faint at work! T-storms galore n a foggy mist all about- Your supposed to make loud clanky-noise to scare bears, like a spoon on a pan. The other method of course, is to throw marshmallows at them! That's what we used to do at the dump in Millinoket.

JanF, I'd like to be getting more done, of course! Lots of not-done-yets! Pieces in various stages of process, while I can vent paint fumes out the windows... Thanks!

Talon, from your comment to the power who'll grant it to me...

CJ, I haven't been able to read books most of the year, now I'm getting hooked on my sci-fi research again. Thanks for your wishes- Unfortunately, I cleaned thru some old, dusty stuff! The lawn still needs mowing, n there's no end to the chore list! Not as relaxing as a good swim by any stretch!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

That so sucks to be allergic, but you look at it from a good angle.

Wish I could give you some of our 100+ temps

Enjoy

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Hmmm, guess I should pack one in my bag next time I'm out on the trails. I really don't wanna end up being a snack for Yogi and Boo Boo.... ;)

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, I never get complacent in the yard or on the beach- I've learned not being afraid to be a good strategy. If we get your temps, then I want to swim everyday!

Neo, I also wonder if a loud whistle or air-horn can would get them running... but marshmellows are only a buck! Then throw the bag n go the other way, or climb a tree!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - What if the bear is diabetic? Ever think of that smarty? hmmm hmm???

Seriously though these trails can get dark at night. REALLY DARK. And if I'm up there during the day, I'll have earphones on, so chances are I wouldn't even know it was up on me until it was too late and the big furry thing was snacking on me!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Get the bear to hold his finger, er paw still, so I can jab it n get his blood glucose reading...
I'm actually not afraid of wild animals. They just need respect. Yesterday I stopped my car n talked to a deer on the roadside, who just looked at me! (No kidding). I should've been St Francis of Asisi-

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - ummmmmmmmmm I'll pass on that. I'm not the vet type, and I'd imagine Mr or Mrs bear wouldn't be having any of that will some serious doses of tranquilizers.

I wouldn't be afraid if I could see them coming, it's pretty dense in some of these parts here.

So did the deer answer you?

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, I watch alot of animal relocation shows... She seemed to listen.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

btw Folks, those little, bright pink blossoms are Double Impatiens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home