Thursday, May 08, 2014

Coming up is Mother's Day


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2014

My memories of my mother surprise me so often with misty emotion at odd times. Even while cutting vegetables with her old pairing knife, or while eating spring strawberries.

What I miss about my Mother is
her strength of conviction. So few people these days hold themselves to the high standards she measured up to.

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2014Once she took a stand on an issue, she could not be swayed from what she believed was right.

She had a loud, strong, steady voice, n always voiced her opinion. I remember her speaking to friends on the phone n breaking into the most amusing,  spontaneous laughter. I can still hear it in my mind these 14 years since she's been gone. What I miss most is just being able to call her, n the feeling that all would be well because she always worked at ways of  solving problems instead of despairing over them.

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2014Being raised by her made me strong too.

What do you miss most? How are you like her?

7 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Wonderful memories of you mom, Snaggle. Lovely thoughts there.

I think of my mom every time I see or smell a rose. She planted them under our bedroom windows at our childhood home, so we could smell them when the windows were open. And I learned impeccable manners from her. I miss her very much - she was like a lovely rose.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

You miss your mother as I miss my own. It is something we will do til the end of time. It is funny because I cannot remember ever hearing my mother talk on the phone. We were always grabbing it or it was a call for dad. I remember her wonderful letter writing though and how well she put her thoughts and feelings and caring for us in those letters.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I am not much like my mother at all. She was a bit odd and not the easiest person to live with. But, she loved us and sacrificed greatly so that we all could go to college. She valued education highly as the key to our success. I do envy those who had close relationships with their mothers.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger TALON said...

I miss my mom so much. She taught me such great and valuable lessons. She taught me it's okay to be strong and speak your mind...even in the era she grew up when women took a back seat in the world (which they still are in so many parts of the world). Today the missing is sharper.

I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day, Snaggle. This was a lovely reminder of why Moms are so incredibly special.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, a lovely smell to remember by- Mu Mom had pink roses outside the living-room side window. I miss those roses too.

Gran Annie, So she was a writer! hope you still have some of her letters. My mother had thousands of friends in organizations like Catholic Daughters, Girl Scouts, n the church parish over many decades. She had many good friends to call. She was a public speaker . I guess she just liked to talk!

Tabor, Funny how we tend to be driven in the opposite direction of our parents... My mother drove me nuts until I moved out. She had been very strict. She worked hard to raise us all. After Dad died, she mellowed a bit n argued less.

Talon, It's good to realize the important lessons learned from a mother after she's departed. So many it took me years to figure out. As a woman I'll not be put in the backseat of opinion because of her influence, too. Mother's Day always has an interlude of remembering my Mother crying missing her mother, as I cry missing her...thanks

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I don't really get on that well with my mother, but I do know that when she dies I'll miss her. She wasn't all bad and in her own way she loved me, still does, and I think I will remember the good moments because we have had some.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, You're lucky there are good memories to fall back on. Of course she loves you so much no matter what. Driving each other crazy doesn't really matter, there is still a strong bond.
I got alot closer to mine after my father was gone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home