Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beach Break

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 12 2011

Today I got my entire body in the bay! Yay!
It was 90 degrees F, tide was high after 5 pm. I found my swim suit, my old, wear over it, "Calvin" t-shirt, beach glasses, n the old sand chair, which used to belong to my Mom.

The tough part was finding non-dust-mite harboring towels to use. Finally found some packed in an airtight bin. I need to wash everything I use within two weeks of wearing to avoid a rash reaction, unless properly stored. Sometimes I'll take something out but it will make my face itch immediately- so I can tell If I shouldn't use it. I tend to pack laundry in clear plastic bags, n some storage bins.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 12 2011
Needless to say I still have piles of summer stuff to wash, towels next! If I want to swim tomorrow, I'm out of luck...

This afternoon was hotter outside than inside. It wasn't difficult to get Mischief in off the deck. She only gets out on Days Off when I'm at home, so I can keep an eye on her. There are so many dogs near by recently, she's been good staying upstairs. If there's another kitty tho, she'll start a fight.


Photo by SnaggleTooth July 12 2011
It was a perfect swim day at Fav beach. Not too windy, the waves not too rough. Not alot of folks that late on a week-day. Only had to dodge a few horsefliesm n luckily made it without a bite. It was peak High tide, n the normally shallow zone was over my head, the way I like it. I'm good at treading water n floating round a long time. Swam under alot too, that's where the cooler water was.

Some older folks set up next to my chair while I was out in the water.


Photo by SnaggleTooth July 12 2011When I got back, the old gent kept saying he was 82, n his wife corrected to 83. He couldn't believe she didn't bring any food. I had to apologize I didn't either. Then he told me about how during WWII when he was 15, he n a friend took a rowboat out to the sandbar at 3 am one full moon night! He didn't get in trouble cause his dad had been off to war- A time he'll never forget.

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 12 2011


What's neat is, I first saw this spot when I was 15 too! My friends n I walked down the rocky shore here from a summer house one night. Some places always stay special, n you always come back... even if it's just in dreams...

I'm very greatful for my hour at fav beach today-

12 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

wow! no comments yet!! I'm glad you finally got to take a dip and enjoy some time! When in Maine i was back floating enjoying the waves (but close to where the kids were and watching them) some kids walked by and said, "hey she's floating" .. I couldn't help but laugh and of course it through of my balance and I had to start over. People are forever impressed at my ability to back float and not sink

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I'm so glad you had that time, Snaggle and it sounds as if you enjoyed talking to the couple. How lovely that you had the same sort of memory, although so many years apart.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Wow lucky you! Sounds wonderful! I'm jealous. It definitely isn't swimming weather here in the UK, well unless you are a duck. ;)

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I'm crazy good at floating now. It's more difficult to stay under because I'm so bouyant in the saltwater. Folks just need to intake alot of air n relax. I still don't know why the folks there wanted those floating chairs! Glad you got in the water too.

Lynn, it was good- n really needed to cool down too! I always go by myself, so don't mind chatting with folks, especially when they have cool, old stories. 15 must be an impressionable age...

LLcoolJ, New England has a short warm season, so you have to take adbantage while it's good! Some ducky folks will still go out in wet suits in the cold, too! We have more swans n geese here than ducks. Guess there's more indoor pool swimming than Atlantic swimming in the UK?

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I think we shall have to put you into the bubble to protect you down there. Bubble Girl! :)

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, other folks are so carefree about things that would make me swell up n die. Even the nicest people can choke me with perfume...
I remember the John Travolta Bubble Boy movie when the girl on the horse at the beach jumped over the bubble! I do get sick alot from allergies- not as bad as when I used to smoke tho.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

what an interesting story about you spot on the beach.

I have big issues with Tide soap, so it's not allowed & I have to make sure a hotel / motel doesn't use it too.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, thanks. it's not often I get a free story about what happened in a time warp in the same place 60 years ago.
I'm allergic ro many soaps, plus dust mites in the curtains, mattresses, carpets n apholstery! A hotel means bringing a mattress cover n my own sheets n blankets! Alot of work for me. I only sit on wooden n vinyl or leather covered chairs. Sometimes I have to wash the dust off them! At least you can relate...

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

this will be a weird comment... its copied and pasted from the reply i left to your comment on my Kelly Koffee Shop clip.

And here it is, I actually wrote it yesterday...

And... I quote....

"Snaggle, my Snaggly Snaggle who’s 2 reacent posts I HAVE read, but not yet commented on. Geez, it must suck to have to be so careful about dust and allergens. But the consequences of not being so careful would obviously not make you feel good. Anyway, back to this post. Yes, folks paying attention. Mostly everybody there also performed, so a real nice supportive crowd. I was SO HAPPY — 3 people made a point of coming up to me later and saying how much they liked my songs / performance. yay!!!! I’m totally getting better!!!!!!! I goof up chords too! But I’m putting a color-coded highlighting system in my charts now, to hopefully help me. I got a set of 6 colors for only $4.99 plus tax!!! whooohoooo. Did so well. I’ll blog on my color system soon! So far… I have the i chord in blue, the iv in purple, the v is yellow, the iii green, and the vi orange. I don’t (so far) play any dminished. My one music thing to print today will be a new chart for “Do You Dream,” as I got it mixed up. It’s really in E, not A. I LOVE the idea of not using a sheet!! I did a few weeks ago once, but not since. You learn faster that way — head in the mouth of the lion. I LOVE minors too, but one has to be responsible with them, and as you say — keep people’s spirits bright. Speaking of which —- I’M SO HAPPY!!!!! I figured out to put the chorus for “Love Will Be The Answer” in FM7, not the Am, yay!!! whoooohoooooohoooooooo. John Denver. Cool. I find “Married Lady” reminds me of him! How lovely you got out the the ocean. I loved hearing about the special place you and that elderly man both discovered at 15!! AWESOMENESS. P.S. Bring food there for him next time."

And that's all I wrote.

Hugs and lawn care wishes. :)

xoxoxo

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Actually Austin was in the News this past week-end as a "most desired to retire to community." The report featured aging Baby Boomers n said the area has the most active live music scene in the country! So you are in the right place for your entertaining plans, n have a growing audience.
Wow, that is indeed one very strange n long posting! Thanks- Guess you knew it would ne awhile before I go see your comments over there in FunsterLand. "Banana Seat Bicycles" reminds me of "Calypso." BTW- I NEVER eat at the beach!

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

My best friend somewhat recently moved to Austin to fight for her child custody.. She actually doesn't like it there.. Too bloody hot among the fact that her controlling asshole ex-husband is there. Its so hot I have no idea how seniors would consider living there...

I bring food to the beach. My kids never stop eating, and its cheaper than letting them go to the snack shack

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I hope your good friend is doing alright n gets her custody rights. That's a long way to travel for it. New England does spoil you to the heat, I think!
At least there's no shoveling there! The destination choice on the news was decided on what the area has to offer- Parks, museums, recreation, community orgs.
Don't think I've needed food at the beach since I've had to kids to bring along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home