Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gobble

Image by SnaggleTooth 2015
We gather to eat,
all our family favorite dishes
to compliment roasted turkey.
We go around the dinner table,
asking each pilgrim
a reason to be thankful.

There is alot
of grateful
to pass around,
with the gravy.
Even the shy
will speak up,


The babies are grown,
Full after dinner
we moan
Because tho we're tired,
some must go to work
at the stores.




Merchants commercialized
the best family holiday
left for being 
Unplugged together
turning it into 
a sales frenzy. 

I am so grateful 
for Thursdays Off
to feel no need 
to shop Thanks Day.
Material things
I can do without.

Image by SnaggleTooth 2015All I need 
is a dinner 
of conversation,
just get the young  
to look up 
from their devices.

The food brings with it
Memories of generations
from Plymouth colony
hundreds of years
of Turkey for Dinner.
Thanks for the harvest


.....................................................
poem by SnaggleTooth this week

7 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Very cool poem. Sadly, even that has gone by the wayside. At my brother's, everyone divided up into their little cliques after dinner. My family was watching a movie, my in-laws were in the dining room conversing in Spanish, and the kids were in the basement playing video games.

Father Nature's Corner

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger desk49 said...

And yet family is in the eye of the beholder
I'm glad you had a great time.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I hope they looked up from their devices. That makes me crazy, too.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G.B., yes, our after dinnertime was spent watching "The Avengers II, the Age of Altron" so much for hanging out together. Myself, I miss the old card games we used to play with cousins, Gramps n aunts n uncles. Pinochle, Bridge, Cribbage, n Hearts were fun!

Ellis, We had a small dinner, but the pies were so good! Too bad the in-laws had to go to work. Thanks

Lynn, They wouldn"t just sit to eat n chat! Wiggle n complain all through table time until parents relented for computer games. The Phone thing with young adults is nuts. My phone is in a pocket most of the time. Thanks

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Beautiful poem. I would've loved to be with you and hear all the grateful thanks. No more babies in your family, all big kids now.

You really have to force those kids off the devices these days. Heck, I know some adults you go out to dinner with and they are CONSTANTLY looking at their phones, 1 lady in particular. Get a life. End of rant... :)

xoxooxox

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I know all about the young, and not so young, being glued to their devices! It's so rude really. But I'm glad you had time with the family.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, The kids throw such tizzy fits over being off-line that it ruins dinner to hear the complaints! (especially the 8 year old) Hope the Sweet Pea gives you some face time this holiday- Thanks.

LLcoolJ, I'll take a few minutes against nothing- Looks like Xmas will be a short visit too. Guess rude is in vogue! Yes, I used picture tube presets still on the old machine to make the weird turkey pic. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home