Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brrhh!

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2007
.
.
.
My village has a tradition of using plain white lights for the holiday season. Quaint perhaps, but I prefer colored lamps. Luckily, private parties aren't required to follow what town leaders decided for local dec fashion years ago.
.
In my opinion, the holiday light displays are the best part of the darkness we endure as the days get shorter on the way to the Winter Solstice.
.
Speaking of dark, I suspect it was a partly sunny day before I woke up late n didn't get out the door before the 4pm sundown hour. It will be difficult getting daylight pics this winter! Another zero new clicks today. This pic taken December 1, 2007, is what it would've been like at the gazeebo on the bluffs had I made there today.
.
Still no snowfall here. It's getting much colder, n the winds are biting out there. Windchill is reported to be about 3 degrees F now. I'm currently going crazy trying to figure out where I hid last years gloves- clean in a large zip-bag in a clothes container somewhere (got tons). I'm thinking prob under the stuff moved to paint the backroom, cause struck-out on all the easier searches today.
.
I have a cheap pair for now, but shoveling n sub-z's will require heavy-duty protection soon. Likely buying new ones will be more time efficient than further digging, but expensive, n I do have good ones. All I need now is more daylight time to work on moving stuff. It always boils down to less sleep, more light. Oh well! Meanwhile, the fingers will be chilly, n I'll keep plugging away at the search.
.
At least I got to some of the weather-stripping, which always cuts down on the drafts. Now if I can only get the downstairs folks to keep the main door closed tight, it won't be too chilly in here. Half-way thru December n we're finally getting the cold blast that used to arrive two months sooner-
.
Here come the crazy-busy couple of weeks before Xmas. I'm not ready- Hopefully I'll get alot done in the very few Days Off I'll have until then. I have to work on the day, as usual.
.
Merry shopping, Elves...

13 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I haven't gotten much done in prep for Christmas either. I ran up my credit card some yesterday ordering online. There is just no time to browse through shops.

Have a great weekend, Snaggle!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Like you, I prefer colored lights though the clear lights do look pretty when the snow softens them.

We've had our first snow and the temps have dipped dramatically. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, but doesn't quite feel like it yet!

I hope you find your gloves. My Mom always said about misplaced items, "Don't worry - you'll find it in the last place you look." Helpful, huh? LOL!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I'm not sure where my gloves are either. Luckily Kelly has an extra pair of mitts that kind of almost fit me for those chilly morning walks.

More and more lights are starting to go up here too. Dark at 5:30 so we can enjoy them on early evening.

I too prefer the colored lights, so festive and warmly pretty.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

ouch. my jannie had me puting up lites in the big tree and i bonked my nogin.

ouch!

but i be okay latir, i sure.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, You've done more than I, of course money to spend would help.
I've no clue what to get online, either! Good luck to you too- thanks

Talon, I go so far as to remove all the white ones from my strings- You did get some of that mid-western storminess that also got NY good, eh? Thanks, I found some, but not the good leather ones-

JanF- I don't even have any mittens, all glovers. I like the ones that grip the steering wheel, tho! Mostly I'm driving in them- Most of the lights are shut off on my way home from work now- folks saving electric bux.

BB, at least your lights are up in the tree. Our town only put them on the tree trunks this year! someone lost the ladder, I guess...
Hope your head-ache gets better soon, take two aspirin n drink Carrot juice.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Lance said...

I have a hat/mitten box that is overflowing with gloves... The problem? Finding a matching pair...or even a pair that fits. Stay warm!!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

we have the colored mini lights on the tree under my perserverence. we did the big bulbs for a few years, but switched to the minis when we had kids.. they get hot, as for outside? the husband insist they we white lights, but I still have a fondness for colored lights. they are more fun!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

yess, all mutch beter now in my hedd, tahnks!!

xo

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

We have white lights on our Christmas tree and I have to say I wish they were coloured. I think there was a trend a few years back for white, but I for one have grown slightly tired of it all and would prefer a bit of colour.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lance, ooo sorry I didn't get here yesterday- my connection is getting pretty iffy lately- I've crammed far too much in this little spot, then had to cram it further when the backroom sprung a leak, n repairs too. My mom used to have a drawer of odds. The chest is still in a storage place across town. Thanks!

BC, so Alton likes the classy victorian "white" thing? Mini's are so cheap, but usually only last a year- n finding a bad bulb-impossible! btw- I was really busy Sat. I lost AF's blog addr btw, is he still blogging?

BB, yep, every town employee got lazy here this year- Glad there's no permmmament Dwamage!

LLcoolJ, yeah, I like color, n blinking bulbs. Especially the old bubble lights still in the closet. They have a glass water tube over a large bulb base, n heat-up n look cool. I miss them, as well as bux to pay the Electric Co!

btw, I just have a mini-50 colored in the hall window seen from the hill driving by.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

Ha! We're not ready for Christmas, either, but oh well. We'll get there somehow!

We've had some very cold days, but today is unseasonably warm -- it'll hit a high of close to sixty. And I'm gonna be up on the mountain! YIPPEE! :-D

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

he doesn't blog really.. atleast not that I know of.. It took me a minute to see where my response was.. I'm not used to seeing "BC". you can still use "MB" :) I hope all is well and sorta warm at your place

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thommalyn, Yes, another slow elf like myself! On the mountain in warmth sounds wonderous! Hope the affliction is clearing up well-

MB, BC, Well, I just found the Url, will soon go check
http://altonfreth.wordpress.com/
Think my machine was down that year- not great now either. an ecard is in his near future- prob won't get snail there in time-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home