Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Basting Away

Finally got some pretty flowers in my garden, and quiet time to enjoy them! The deep purple Butterfly plant, and then the white Babies Breath which goes well with the Bramble Roses I picked and set up in the kitchen. for awhile there, didn't think I'd get any. Still waiting on Cosmos, Bachelor Buttons, Asters, and two species of Lavender. The leaves smell yummy anyways...

Today the air is better, not as muddy, yay! Red tide is gone! ...But it's a low tide day, and swimming's best when the tides on the way in. I want to avoid crab bites (pinches are no fun) and horseflies (allergic to bites), so I haven't even gone swimming yet! I usually like going out over my head, but I'm so paranoid of sharks being strange this year, I may not.

Last week there was a bomb scare on the Nantucket ferry Hyline cruise. The boat had to turn around and go back to the island. People got stuck there all week-end. I still wonder if they had to pay out of pocket for the extra stay. PD just arrested three boys who allegedly pulled the hoax. Hmmm... maybe they're locals who are bored and aggrivated with the tourists...

...Today on the local am news, a guy who lost the Martha's Vineyard Shark Derby yesterday, by coming in to the Oak Bluffs dock 6 minutes late, had a huge, "monster," 1100 lb. Tiger Shark! I'm actually more paranoid of that species because they have no natural predators, are camoflagued and not easily seen, eat seals and people resemble seals while swimming, and are not confined to any water type, such as cool or warm, (as are Great Whites). Check pic 4746947_320X240 at http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4746503/detail.html

Update 2009, the archive link above has been deleted.
To see that shark pic, please click here.
I regret I did not save the story with it-

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

holy crap! that's a big shark. so it big it almost looks fake! mind-blowing.. but glad i didn't have to tow in that line. suckers

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

No wonder local seals and porpoises were swimming up the rivers... a bit safer...
I hope it was way out near the edge of the continental shelf and not next to shore...

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger flleenie said...

That shark made national news, I saw the story on the TV this morning. 2 people on the gulf coast have been attacked this year, one girl died. It's scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home