Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hay Today

Altered Image by SnaggleTooth June 2012
 It was a  fair Day Off during the sunny breaks, tho the wind was whipping n the clouds moving in from the west for another rain day to follow. I knew it was a "Make hay while the Sun shines " occasion,  got laundry hung out, got across town to the dump, went to the market there, made it back in time for mail pick-up at the Post Office, n  took a few minutes to walk around the pier.

There were a few good pics to try. A lot of folks were out n around, some on the bluffs, beach, n pier, enjoying the pleasant 70's breezy day before the vacation crowds come n  make it more difficult.

Photo by SnaggleTooth June 2012
Boats crowded the Short Pier, n are moored across the whole bay again for the season. Most of the schools are out for the year here this week. Kids are everywhere, n the little school playground was very  crowded, I saw on my way back.

My neighbors cleaned up a big pile of branches by dumping it across from my house in a clear section of the woods where I had a path cleared. I got ticked off seeing them do it,  so after they were done, I removed their mess over to existing stick piles so I won't have to see it in front of my house all winter. I'm sure my neighbors are all clueless how much I've cleaned these woods thru the years, just to give them easy dumping space...

While I was covered with pollen anyway, I decided to hurry n get the lawn mowed as light began fading. At least it won't be a mile high after the rain tomorrow. I even finally got my moth traps up. The Indian Grain kitchen variety been multiplying like crazy  in here. I put ant dust around the whole house outside, n the trees  too. The Carpenter ants are out in force already. Last week when I repaired some holes in the cement stairs, I'd noticed them trooping into a crack under the bottom step. I guess the mild winter is starting the insects off  with a bumper crop...

Finally after another store trip I have time to read n relax. I always feel good about myself when all that stuff gets done. Maybe because it gives me a sense of being in control n caught up on something, as opposed to everything being backlogged! Hopefully something else on the list will easily follow now that the necessary  is taken care of.

May your bales of hay be already stacked in the loft...

8 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

You were making hay while the sun shone. :) Sounds like a productive day!

How lovely that you get to see the water all the time - so beautiful.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I have truly seen evidence of "making hay while the sun shines" around here. All of our neighbors have been working day and night to put up hay and it is bundled/rolled in every field. After last year's drought it is a joy to see the surplus this year and we have a space cleared and hay on order.

I am so sorry that your neighbors have no knowledge of your labor in the woods. Are they the same ones who threw the debris in your backyard before?

Love the pictures.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

Bugs can be an endless battle, as can buggy neighbors.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Oh. My. God. Look at the name of that boat!!! I was just setting your pic for my new background -- then saw the Kelly Ann after, I swear!

Wow, Jim will be so enchanted to see the new pic here on his desktop.

Glad you got some things done, Snaggle.

My dad literally WILL be making hay before too long.

xoxo

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, yes, I got so much done in a few hours I amazed myself! Everytime I consider moving I realize I can't stand being away from the water! I need the space, n the ripples always comfort me. I need it.

Gran Annie, n it's even hay time there already, wow! that's great there's plenty. Do you get some from the neighbors? That's convenient. I hope it's a long time before another drought there.
Different neighbors. No one else gets the save the woods thing.

Tabor, the insects are crazy out there now, the mosquitos especially. But the ants are on my deck plants n maybe eating the house n Maplebeard- even tho I've treated twice already! The neighbors don't know how I feel about the plants across the road. Some are endangered.

JanF, I thought you might like that one- I guess your desktop machine got fixed? Yes, it won the "Prettiest Post First" ESR prize! Your Dad makes his horse's own hay? That's wonderful. Does he grow oats too? That would save so much money... oh, n the stable straw too, I bet. Smart guy. Must be in great shape to manage it too.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I love that feeling of getting through a pile of jobs on a list. My week has been full of them, and still is!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

It's the desktop 'puter at Jim's work I get to use a bit these days. On my laptop at home at the moment.

Yes, he does raise oats for the horses' winter feed. Yes, on the stable straw.

He does sell a bit of hay too, but is talking about giving it up altogether one day. He's 76. And I'm not there, and won't be this summer.

But anyway... hope you are well.

xoxo

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, Gives a person a sense of accomplishment n unlaziness to get things done, doesn't it. Even better, when the list is done for the day, n relaxing feels deserved! Good luck with your busy week!

JanF, I was sent a refurbished desktop found in FL recently- still working off-line- needs a modem n virus protection. That sounds like a great way to afford horses I hadn't thought of- I hope your Dad gets some help in his baling adventures- no wonder he needs a tractor!
Having fun with tooth-aches this week-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home