Friday, December 18, 2009

Chills

Photo by SnaggleTooth Dec 17 2009


.

.
.
As the Solstice soon approaches, n the Earth's North axis tilts it's furthest from the Sun, the coldest weather has finally arrived. We're experiencing a spell of the Sub-Z's in windchill temps here for Day Off. (Without the wind about 18F, n going lower overnight). Seems cold in the house until you go out for errands, then coming back in, it's warm inside again.
.
I was wearing so many layers of warmth I could barely fit behind the steering wheel, or even sit down! I need to lose weight so I can get on more, less tight layers... You forget until forced again, how tough it is to fumble with gloves on for the keyes, pocket items, n putting fuel in the tank.
.
I didn't head out 'til after dark again, n decided to try to get some pics, despite the chill. I took a short n brisk walk at the little park in the town's center at the Narrows. I even walked out onto one of the numerous fishing piers over the water where I haven't been for months now. Yes, it was bitterly windy-cold.
.
My cam Batteries froze after just a few minutes, so I didn't get many shots before it died. Then I quickly hoofed it back to Little Truck to get the feeling back into my frozen (even with gloves on) hands. Again, I was the only one out there walking for fun, braving the cold.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth Dec 17 2009

A large storm is predicted to form n head to the East coast in a few days- Maybe I'll be able to get some snow pics in next week. When I got home n checked the cam batts, of course they were working again in the warmth.
.
Altho I've too much to do, I'm Chillin' out today-
btw- Happy Chonukah!

10 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

18 degrees seems balmy to me these days. watched the news this morning, and the weather guy said current temp was 2. just 2.... not 12, not 20, not even 22... temps like this drive me crazy.. he had the audacity to say, "this is by far the coldest day so far this fall". lol FALL! ugh.. to be reminded it's not even technically winter yet, and we still have several more months of this.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh my, that sounds so cold. Brrrr! I think that chillin' time sounds delightful and that would be my plan, too!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ooooo, the life of a devoted blogger getting those pictures. Both are great, the moon one is so awesome.

I remember back in Canada on a particularly inspiring winter day I had the camera with me, 35mm, cheap. I had to keep it well tucked in next to my skin
between shots, Brrr.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger TALON said...

The golden moonlight path is gorgeous! I'm counting the days and the hours until the shift begins and the days begint to lengthen again. I soooo hear you on the fumbling with all the layers and the gloves and the boots and all the stuff that gets us through the cold. There's definitely no dashing out of the house in those temps!

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

You & I must be crazy. lol I too went out in the cold to see lights. I was so cold I had hubby take the pics. lol Love your photo. Was it worth the cold?

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, TG the ocean is keeping it warmer here. Berkshires where you are well known for the deep freeze, n snowy peaks. Winter (Solstice) is here Monday-
Safe to bet you're counting the minutes until spring already!

Lynn, it is! We went from one extreme to the next in one day- Much easier to chill under a blanket than putter about, plus I can blog-

JanF, Thanks. At least the few I got weremn't too bad- I think that's a fake Moon you're referring to- a beacon over the waterway. n that's a lighted evergreen on the other side. Thanks for the cam-warm-up tip...

Talon, Thanks. I do think that's an artificial lamp. The moon is crescent out there tonight. I finfd gloves so difficult, on n off every store n being careful not to lose them! You're right, no quick!

Rose, I prefer to think of it as brave n NOT lazy- I don't have a button clicker second tho- i've taken many outings just for ESR pics. It's good for me to get out, too- Thabks- Yes, to come back n enjoy the warmth more!

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

stay safe, stay warm. God loves you

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, Thankyou- here comes 2 feet of snow, oh boy!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

last night we were expected to get upto 8". I wake up this morning, y nada nieve! wtf...? so I went online and we've been downgrade3d to a possible coating-2".. lol what a drag.. apparently the air here is soooo dry all the snow evaporated before it hit ground... atleast that's what the weather lady said. lol

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I was up 'til 8 am watching the radar on the news n out the door window, the only one not plastered with flying snow- I heard the Berkshires missed out, n Maine is getting a bonus round a day later from the same storm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home