Thursday, May 17, 2012

Over the River

 Years had passed since I'd made it to a warm weather BBQ at my brother's suburban home. The last few visits had been to his beach house south of Boston, so I was unaware of the recent state of the neighborhood, my old home area.

He'd bought an end of a dead-end street house, quieter n more isolated than most there, with one side abutting the Charles River which is flanked with some woods.


When I was a young Girl Scout we used to walk the river paths picking up garbage as a project when the river had become so poluted it was considered a hazard. So much has been done in the past 4 decades to clean up the river. Now it's a delightful blue instead of brown water, less trash about, n more fish n wildlife.


They've added a boardwalk trail along the Charles river for walking n cycling from Metro West all the way into Boston, with just a few gaps in the trail.



Now, there is a constant stream of strangers walking past my brothers' once private back yard! It was a strange feeling to see the parade streaming by all thru the Mom's Day BBQ. The weather was beautiful n so there were alot of folks out.

The Little Ones wanted to see what the attraction was, So after eating some of us took a walk. My brother gave us a bag of old bread n sent us out to the left to seek a bridge. It wasn't too far down, crossing over into the next town, in which I used to have an after school job.


The tough part about the trail was to get the Little Ones to give right of way to the numerous bicycles n several runners. they gravitaed to walk abreast in a group n block the way.


The Little Ones had fun feeding some ducks n hanging out on the bridge, where all the adults were clicking away. Of course I'm the only one taking shots without folks in them... Actually it was a bit too busy with strangers for me, but none the less a nice place to hang out near the big city.
I'm glad I don't have my brother's suddenly public yard tho! I think my response would be to put up a cedar tree boundary or stockade fence to avoid being seen by so many strangers. It would make me too nervous to hang out in the yard!


If something similar happened to your yard, what would your response be?




9 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

That is very interesting. He bought a home that was fairly secluded and private only to have it turned into a public fast lane. Any chance for setting up a cold drink stand to make a little money on the mob? LOL

Once we lived where our property backed up to the city reservoir. It was a well maintained and landscaped area with driving and walking space. I absolutely loved all the activity around it and now realize my parents probably hated it. Just think how your "little ones" will always remember this jaunt as a major event.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

The view from that balcony is so fabulous that I guess it would be worth it to have a people trekking through, as long as they weren't rowdy, I guess. :)

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, Good idea! I hadn't thought of that- I think you have to pay for a permit to sell lemonade in that city tho. Really! The Little Ones will hopefully remember the "stay right" rule of the road.

Lynn, The fact that all kinds of strangers can see your kids can be dangerous, never mind the theft potential.
Somehow I can picture you in the yard waving at all the passer-bys...

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

have NOT forgotten you. As if I ever could!

Busy-busy.

Will pop back in at length this weekend.

xoxoxoxo

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Thanks for popping in. I'm about to be non-stop busy until Summer is over!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

If my back yard was suddenly like that I'd be all W T heck... :) But we have neighbors on all sides, with fences, so no chance of a stranger parade behind us in the forseeable future.

His home sounds once mysteriously secluded.

What was your after school job?

Hope you stuffed yourself on BBQ? Any potato salad? With home-made dressing?

xoxoxo

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

As you are well aware, I live next to a mountain that has a very public road running next to it. It's more pedestrian oriented than car oriented, so I'm more than used to having strangers peak into our backyard.

Kind of cool actually.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I wouldn't like a stream of people walking past our back yard I have to say. We do get that a bit at the front of our house which is bad enough. Every warm sunny day, which seem to be rare here, everyone appears to be out going for a walk outside our house!

Lovely shots though. :)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, In West Suburban Boston, only having few close, abutting neighbors is rare. I was a stock clerk for a toy store. How did you know I had potaoe salad? Don't think it was homemade tho- they get that stuff from the market deli.

G, At least the road was there before you moved in. The homes there are spaced out alot further too. n you don't hate it either-

LLcoolJ, Yes, I think folks out front is bad enough, but it really stinks when the kids can't play out back without an adult, or the lawn furniture can't be left out because you can't trust all those city folks, nevermind feeling on display-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home