Friday, January 25, 2013

Warm up to It

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2013

I've been dealing with some issues this week. I'd planned to spend this cold spell staying warm n resting as much as possible after chores were done. Instead I got extra chores, a boo-boo, n have been extra chilly.

My arm is screwed up this week. Last time at work before Day Off- 
I plowed through a piece of metal with part of my arm just below my elbow. 


 A small metal bracket piece was sticking out of a machine in a storage zone. I went to quickly throw something in (had to run back) n hit the piece with my arm because my glasses had a blind spot. I always walk around with reading glasses at work now...

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2013

After the bleeding stopped with pressing on my quickly applied bandage, I used a frozen bagel in a food-glove for an ice pack while I had to continue to work. Then I brought the melted dough ball home after work n made an awesome cheese-burger pizza with onion. It was even better than slicing the regular baked bagels for pizza.   

Then on Day Off-  I checked the hallway $1 thermometer on my way out for errands, n it only read 30F, below freezing. The heat downstairs was not functioning! 
My pipes go thru those walls, n were in danger of freezing up in these low teen temps here this week (or -10 C). So I made calls n waited for call-backs, then went crazy checking downstairs n the basement every hour. All the faucets got turned on, n I found a couple of little electric heaters I had packed away. I also turned the oven on for a few hours n got the temp up to 48F. 

 Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2013

Of course the separate electric heat upstairs was down more than usual about 50F.
After two days Of struggling not to sleep my normal time n go around what other folks wanted to do, (constant calls waking me every time I fell asleep), finally it was rigged with a fan to get some heat moving into the downstairs from the basement this afternoon. The landlord found a Heat Repair Van guy in line at a fast food drive thru, n got him to come over to assess the problem! All other calls made were busy elsewhere-

Repairs should be complete tomorrow, which means I miss yet another day of sleep needed just before my work-week begins. 

The dusty dirt in the basement got thrown all over me by the landlord n work guy, so I started an allergic reaction of swelling n had to take benedryl n change clothes again. I went to go online but passed out for a few hours.



Woops- I'd wanted to take a shower before it got late-night colder again! Now I have to freeze my butt off n try to sleep in 50 degrees with wet hair.

No time for it tomorrow because I have to get up in the morning again n stay up all night for work. Can't believe I lost another week of my time Off again without doing anything I'd wanted to- File it under "Things we have to do to survive"-

Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2013
I'd now normally exclaim how burnt out I am, but I'm so tired, n I feel too cold except for freezer burnt out!  

Took this pic by the cove yesterday while wearing 2- layered winter coats, hoodie, scarf, gloves, hat, 2 hoods, 3 shirts, 3 pants, 3 socks... n prob will sleep in 2 layers after the shower!

I hope next Day Off is warmer in here...
sorry to whine so much-

21 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh Snaggle - a run of bad luck! I hope your injury is healing - seems as if someone there should have administered first aid. And I hope the heat comes back on quickly. Oh my.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

So sorry to hear all the issues...you need a hug ;-)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Bagels were harmed in the writing of this blog. :(

SAVE THE BAGELS!!!!

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I'm going on 8 weeks without 8 hours of sleep in a day. My wound is still red n raw. I was a Girl Scout, n always do my own first aid. Other folks are too slow for me. At least I can soak a bit now to help heal it. The heat was fixed this morning TG-

Tabor, Thanks- haven't had a hug since last week sometime,

Neo, Rats* I just had "hig" - the fingers need to eat more bagels I guess. Do yours sit at the table as guests?

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Boy, when it rains in your world it really pours.

Hope things start picking up for you ASAP in the coming days.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Having to use electric heaters could be the worse part of this. We try never to drag them out unless we have to because they really get our meter spinning.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Yes Ev, yes they do!

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks G, at this point six hours of straight sleep with heat sounds heavenly... n Good luck like hitting the jackpot would really be appreciated!

Gran Annie, Downstairs is a gas furnace, n all electric everything upstairs- always very expensive, but will cost even more this week-

Neo, I just ate cheeseburger bagel pizzas again! well the bagels are free...

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Oh blimey sounds like you've had the week from hell! I hope your arm is getting better now and that your heating is back on. Nothing worse than feeling cold, well maybe feeling hungry.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Neo said...

!!!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, Yep, you guessed it- Yes, the heat is on- whew! n the arm is healing, but still sore. Thanks]

Neo, mmm ...

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I hate being cold! I'm so sorry you had that problem and hope it's fixed for good!
Take care of that arm. I hope it heald really fast with no complications.
I'm sending many hugs. We need them!

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

THREE pants!!! Jeez Woman, I'm not sure I ever even wore 3 pants up in Canada. But possibly. My mind may have forgotten.

Sounds like a yummy way to heal your arm with that bagel. now you got me all wanting food, but I've got to get to bed, as it is.

And at 50 degrees, I probably would not shower for a month in the winter, or maybe like the lumberjacks of old -- ALL winter, until someone would hose me down in the spring. :) :) :)

oxooxox

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Oh, and here are more hugs too

((((((((((SNAGGLE))))))))))

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Mountain Mama, the cold floor was rough on my feet! I had to keep them up off it- Thanks for the get well wishes. My arm seems to be doing better today- not as raw. The bruising isin't as painful lifting my arm. Would help if I had time off work for it- but need the bux.

Janf, wearing all that stuff is really heavy! But layers definately work. Long Johns, sweatpants then heavy Jeans... But the two winter coats had me feeling like a stuffed animal- all puffed up. Bagel pizza crust is always good. Add Tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, Parm Cheese, Cut up hamburger, mazzerella, chopped onion then extras virgin olive oil, bake 14 minutes et voila`!
TG the hot water was working. Not good being cold after tho...
thanks

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

stop talking about food!!! I just brushed my teeth. :)

xoxo

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Well then brush 'em again after the Midnight snack!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I think crazy Janey missed something on her teeth. *ducks*

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, I'm running out of teeth to brush, myself...

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Or as we say about people from the hood back in philly. Go brush your tooth. HAHAHAHAHA (not you them)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, sadly it applies to me too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home