Sunday, August 22, 2010

Public Canvas

Image by SnaggleTooth summer 2010
Under the bridge by the marina there's a simple, weather beaten, acrylic painting of a light house on a boulder. We don't have any light houses in the harbor here except this one...
.
Of course I had to re-paint it new colors- No I didn't paint it on the rock- I'd like to think If I had, it would look a bit more realistic, (perspective, shading, trees, shadows), n prob contain more animals. I'm not a fan of acrylic work. I prefer oils, n use water colors also.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth summer 2010Once I painted an itty-bitty landscape on a curved piece of wood, with mountains, railroad tracks, n itty-bitty-er holsten cows- (black n white spotted) based on Vermont memories. I hinged a stand-bar on the back for the plaque, n my Mom kept it on the piano. Someday I'll dig out the packed art from the old house again.
. Image by SnaggleTooth summer 2010

Uptown near the triangle, mini-hangout area is a new breakfast-coffee bar this season, called the "Sunrise Cafe`." I had occassion to go to the laundrymat across from it, n took a pic of their outdoor mural near sunset time...

Then I re-painted that one too! Nope, never had breakfast or coffee there, but I'm sure they do a good deal of business with so much summer foot traffic to the post office next door going on.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth summer 2010


Come to think of it, I have pics of the post office lobby murals somewhere, n then there's also pics of school kids contest winner paintings to decorate the bath-house on the front beach. I'll have to do file digging for those sometime too.
So stay tuned for installment 2, n hope I actually have digging time at some point soon...

8 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

You are an amazing citizen, Snaggle to touch up the paint!

Sunrise Cafe sounds way yummy. I am out of coffee this morning and have to wait another 21 minutes for the shop down the road to open to pick up a cup.

Fixed your link -- sorry 'bout that!

xo

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger ... Paige said...

I like the ones you painted better.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Murals just give us a peek into the mind of the artist.
What one uses to create the art is not how good the art is.
They call us artist and no colours do we use but black and white.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Love that boulder most of all. Way cool:)

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Janf, We had a fav spot across the road there in a purple house with all the coffee types you could imagine. Hd to close due to divorce! Miss that lady- was a sweetheart. I used to drink the cocoa-been off coffee since '03!

Paige, Thanks! (So do I)

Ellis, I think public displays are always a courageous move. These pieces are very stylized works.
If I owned a building- I'm sure it would end up covered with subjects just 'cause I could!
You use black n white very well in your art!
Besides paint n film, I also write music, btw. So I even use audio waves...

Gran Annie, It's neat encountering it on a beach walk too- Thanks

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I hope you find that painting you did for you mom and show us sometime!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Snaggle, I don't know why, but this post didn't update on my reader - annoying! But I'm here now and I have to say that I love acrylics - they're so vibrant. Mind you, I love all the different mediums. And I love that you captured the local art to share with us. Now I'm hoping you definitely have time to dig so we can see some of your creative work - the painting on the wood sounds lovely!

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I find when I write it here I'm more likely to feel compelled to action. I'm not even sure it will Photograph ok with my cam- Been having trouble getting decent painting shots with it-

Talon, I just thought you were really busy n didn't have time! Hope it's a weird fluke- I don't use my reader at all-
Wish I had your cam good at close-ups to take detailed captures. I have tons of bad pics of my stuff tho! Hate when colors n details wash out- You may remember seeing some altered unicorn work earlier- I've actually done many wooden plaques, but others own them. Usually I only keep rejects! Like the fuzzy ones that fell over n smudged while the paint was still wet... But work done for my parents- I can't part with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home