Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mem Wknd

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2009 .
.
.
Normally, I'd get to posting more, but this week Day Off was cancelled until today. Memorial week-end is different on the Cape, because it kicks off the summer tourist season. Still, it's the least crowded holiday week-end of the warm season here. Townees get out n about to enjoy the spaces before the flocks of city folks crowd into them.
.
Many folks get tied up with veteran services, parades, n BBQs in their hometowns, so don't get down here yet. My Dad was a veteran. I used to attend Memorial events each year. Hats off to those who paid the price for our freedom. I won't salute n hear trumpets this year.
.
It's time for the local businesses to start raking in enough bux to last thru the next empty winter.
.
Work orders were humungus for work this week. This year we went from two down to one truck distribution per day to save on fuel bux. Then another small distibutor closed, n we took their routes last week, adding to production quantities n adding trucks. Now we're adding in seasonal population, then holiday week-end is the gumdrop ontop.
.
I began the week missing two days of sleep to drive north, then working ten hour days until today. At this point I can't contemplate doubling production at the Fourth of July... yikes, I'm burnt already!
.
TG the downstairs loud folks have been away for the past two days, so I've been able to get some sleep finally! I didn't get up until four today, then went out to errands.
.
The air temp was warm about 62F, n I took a detour to the resident beach again. These are todays pics. The water n winds were very calm at high tide. The great visibility enabled picking out the trees, n lighthouse towers every direction across the waters of the bay. I'll prob post more of these later.
.
There were about ten cars parked in the lot, but again, I was the only one out there walking the beach....
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2009Droves of insects were hopping across the beach sand. That didn't stop my exploring from one end to the other, as usual. When I got back into the truck, platoons of tiny flies suddenly covered all the windows in hot pursuit! The plentiful recent moisture will make for a bumper crop this year- Looks like I got inside in the nick of time- If there were wind, they'd have tougher navigation. Usually, it's the windiest beach in town.

.
Gotta make hay while the sun shines as the wise saying goes-

13 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger ... Paige said...

So what you are saying is when I come to Maine plan my trip before this weekend. we prefer to visit other states during less then "prime" time. We have found that locals are little nicer when not so bombarded by outsiders.
In your opinion when is Maine at its best, what is your favorite time of year there?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Neat pics...calm and pretty. I'm glad you got the beach to yourself and had some quality time to relax. I'm really glad you have some much needed peace and quiet around the house.

Yes, much gratitude to those who served (my father, my brother) and who still do (my son.

I've lived in a few tourist areas...the downside of living near such incredible beauty is the influx of tourists. Up side? You've got all that gorgeousness close-by.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Nice pics.

I really do feel for you, being that you have to suffer through the tourist season.

Unfortunately, it is the price that you pay for having the scenery that you do.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, The Maine folks were very nice to me last week. Black flies are always a biting pest until August. Here on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, I like spring n fall, because it's less crowded. We all live here year round because we don't like excitement all the time- There's alot to do in the summer tho, Shows n festivals all over.

Talon, Thanks, It'll prob be a few months before I'm by myself there on a rainless day. Good sleep, but still tired-
Wow, got a military career tradition going there- Salute to those brave ones.
I do get in some quality minutes.

G, Thanks. I'm thinking of soon putting some poem antholgies together with some of the best ones. The price is also financial, n money is seasonal too. It would be so easy if I never had to deal with traffic too- (who doesn't have that thought?)

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Are those granite boulders?

Do you know the Kayaker?

Cape Code, it does all sounds so romantic. Reminds me of the summer Jim and I first became interwined in eternal love. Gulls and boats and waves and mussels and baguettes with butter and white wine. Ah, I can smell the salt air now!.

And darn I'm hungry.

Glad you're rested.

Happy Holiday.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I love the pictures. What ethereal light!

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, The boulders are all different types of mixed up a few are granite, n obsidian, sandstone, quartz, whatever boulders were to be found to do the break-water Jette job. Without the jettes, the sand gets washed away. I was waiting for someone to notice the kayak- never seen him before, he's not the famous one in town-

MamaZ, Thanks for the visit, n appreciating why I chose these out of the rest to post. I like the colors there too.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ooo, so who's the FAMOUS kayaker in town?

I see about the boulders. In Nova Scotia they call them rip-rap. Have you heard that term? Miles and miles of rip-rap around the shores.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, the one who raised all kinds of money to save the library by paddling. RW
Never heard of rip-rap! Never been to the Northern Maritimes, either... yet.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

I'm glad you had a good Memorial Day weekend. And what lovely pictures of the beach! Hang in there with all the work load -- I'm glad you got some sleep.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ThommaLyn, Thanks, These are really different pics from there because the water is so calm. Even with the bugs, it's always worth the walk. I do need luck to get thru work, thanks again.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ah, yer missing the best part of the Maritimes. Actually it's all good, the Maritimes. Where exactly in the Maritimes have you been?

And now that I'm writing Maritimes again that'll be 4 times I've written Maritimes in this comment. And that was number 5 I wrote Maritimes! And that 6.

Wasn't that exciting!

I'm still not in bed and have a sharp resurgence of cake and cookie thoughts. But those too shall pass. There will be a tomorrowe morning of coffee, breakfast taco and fruit perhaps.

Today was a great day! I cleaned out teh fishtank, did the dishes (of course those have to be done again, they never end.) I bet you do you dishes every day, right Snag? And keep your towels all nice and hung evenly in the bathroom? You probably even never let mold grow in your unused muffin tins.

Final good night!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, I hope someone does a search for maritimes n finds this... Both Maternal n Paternal grandroots came down from New Brunswick before settling in Northern New England. Before that of course, the ancestors were in Europe n the UK.
A blogger I used to read had vaca there n had pics... I miss K of the m-dot.
I've heard a great deal about Nova Scotia's one-tide-per-day, longest distance bay water rising/falling.
I know folks who rode the cat-ferry up there from Bar Harbor n Portland. Mais non, ne me pas! Whaaa-
My house keeping falls behind due to tiredness sometimes. I don't have alot of time for it lately- I'd like to hose-clean all the rugs n get the curtains washed before summer- I'm more concerned with getting rid of dust mites, n then sealing up clean stuff in clean plastic bins. (allergy control)
That reminds me, my cake mixer n muffin tins are still at BBM's house where they made Bday cupcakes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home